TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 V8 cast iron borg warner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 6:18pm
Floor shift "Shift-Commands" in 1965 were 1 2 D N R P. I know...I have one. With the lever in "D", sixes start out in 1st, but the V8's start out in 2nd.

The 2nd gear start is very smooth and silken in feeling, but is rather sluggish for when you really need to pull out. For this purpose, the shifter is designed to be easily put into "1" manually for a 1st gear start and shifted up through "2" and up to "D" either sequentially or in one slick movement without the danger of accidentally overshooting to "N".

In short...it's designed to be manually shifted. It's like the Oldsmobile dual gate shifter of the same time.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 6:49pm
My car is a floor shift. Actually, I think this is not the original/correct trans. Since it has a vacuum modulator I think it is an earlier trans. The guy I bought it from installed a high output fuel pump, converted the distributor to electronic ignition, and a new Holley 4bbl 600 cfm carburetor. It looks like chrome. He gave me the old parts. It has new upper trunnions, new front and rear springs, new dual exhaust with glass packs, new tires (5), new convertible top and fresh paint (the original color). Not a spot of rust and no body damage. Rear main leaks (what a surprise). The only real issue is the trans. Could it be an earlier, "stronger" trans? The gearshift does not line up. Park is at reverse. Reverse is at neutral and the backup lights come on. The shift rod appears to be adjusted as short as possible but is still too long. I could not go all the way to low since the shift lever hits the console. I removed the console today but it is raining. Not going out in the rain. If I can be sure of starting in first, not second, I will know if I really have three gears or not.  
Dan
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 6:51pm
Forgot...re-chromed front and rear bumpers and bumper guards.
Dan
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 7:49pm
Drove it today without the console. I have all three gears! 
Noticed on the title from the second owner back the car came to Massachusetts from California. That explains why it has no rust.
Dan
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 7:59pm
Is it possible the console was positioned wrong and blocking the shift lever from proper movement?
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2014 at 9:28pm
Console bolts to the floor with floor mounted studs. No adjustment. The trans is a BW/AMC 10A. Don't know where it came from. Not correct for this car but works fine except for the gear indicator line-up. 
Dan
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2014 at 8:06am
Makes sense.
I have no experience with floor shift cars but the D1,D2 indent plate for your shifter would be very handy. Or does it work but the console overlay is incorrect? If it's just that you have to put it in 2 to get all of the speeds then that's cool, just another rambler quirk.
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2014 at 9:10pm
Tried repositioning the console. No help. First gear is there  and works but I cannot reach it. Good 'ol AMC 327 is strong enough that I don't need first gear!!! 
Trans tag says "for AMC by warner gear"    AS-2-10A           Any way to find out what it is out of??

Dan
Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic