TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 V8 cast iron borg warner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 V8 cast iron borg warner
    Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 8:23pm
Does the 65 cast iron borg warner use a throttle pressure cable or vacuum modulator?
Dan
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 8:36pm
TV cable on carburetor.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 8:42pm
That's what I thought, but I prayed that I was wrong. I just bought a 65 Ambo convertible. It did not shift to third but I could not find the TV cable. Thought t was disconnected. Got underneath and I see a VACUUM MODULAOR. Will it work?? Any suggestions?
Dan
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 11:42pm
The modular needs a vacume line from the intake manifold.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 8:39am
Vacuum line is there. I believe the wire from the modulator is for the kick-down switch, which is not there. The wire is not connected to anything. When the switch is activated by the accelerator, does it create a ground or open the circuit?  How is the modulator adjusted? Does it turn? Is there a screw?
Dan
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 10:59am
The switch should provide B+ since there is only one wire.

Mines been torn apart so long I can't recall exactly where the switch is?

If it's not shifting into 3rd check the vacuum to the modulator. I've seen the hose crack and the halves stay perfectly aligned! You didn't go by only one upshift did you?
In 65 to get a 1st gear start you had to either floor it, bringing the mystery switch into play, or manually select 1st. Otherwise your luxurious Ambassador only does one upshift from a 2nd gear start.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 11:31am
Originally posted by polishdan polishdan wrote:

Vacuum line is there. I believe the wire from the modulator is for the kick-down switch, which is not there. The wire is not connected to anything. When the switch is activated by the accelerator, does it create a ground or open the circuit?  How is the modulator adjusted? Does it turn? Is there a screw?

The modulator should have a screw inside the nipple the vacuum line attaches to.  I think one turn counter-clockwise reduces shift pressure by 10psi, clockwise increases.

The modulator doesn't have a wire.  Some BWs have a wire that runs from a kickdown switch (momentary) at the throttle to a spade connector on the kickdown solenoid (driver side front of transmission).

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
polishdan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polishdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 12:05pm
Trans tag says    AS2   10A
Vacuum line is steel not rubber. Wire feeds into modulator under rubber boot.

I don't understand the term     B+     for the wire.
Dan
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

The switch should provide B+ since there is only one wire.

Mines been torn apart so long I can't recall exactly where the switch is?

If it's not shifting into 3rd check the vacuum to the modulator. I've seen the hose crack and the halves stay perfectly aligned! You didn't go by only one upshift did you?
In 65 to get a 1st gear start you had to either floor it, bringing the mystery switch into play, or manually select 1st. Otherwise your luxurious Ambassador only does one upshift from a 2nd gear start.

In '65 or any year that had the Borg Warner D1 D2 gear selector if you put it in D1 it would start in 1st gear and then shift up to 2nd and then 3rd. Starting in D2 would only give you one upshift to 3rd. This was done as an "economy feature".   
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 12:53pm
In 65 they started to do the standard PRND21 pattern. however the car started out in 2 unless you selected 1 and then put it into D once moving or ran it through the gears, or floored it.

Now that I think about it, that was a floor shift thing, not sure when they did started the standard pattern on the column shift automatics?
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic