TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 Rambler Clifford Intake 4500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 Rambler Clifford Intake 4500
    Posted: Jul/31/2018 at 9:12pm
Will a Clifford Intake manifold 4500 direct fit to a 232 with OEM AMC exhaust manifold?

Will a early 80s Eagle exhaust manifold work with the 232 head and work with same Clifford intake manifold?
If not Eagle exhaust manifold is there another exhaust manifold that fits with Clifford intake?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2018 at 6:52am
The Clifford requires a header or late model AMC exhaust manifold. That's any 1981+ AMC/Jeep/Eagle six cylinder exhaust manifold. You may have to modify the clamp washers or make plates with spacers due to the different thicknesses of the stock manifold and the Clifford. I used a Clifford with a stock 4.0L exhaust header and had to do that. Would be a good time to do a 4.0L head swap along with a better cam. The Clifford will greatly benefit from those two changes.
Frank Swygert
TallTex View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallTex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2018 at 8:41am

Thanks, exactly what I need to know.

What year 4.0L head? Make any difference of year of head or exhaust manifold? 

Is there any clearance issue with 4.0L head, valve cover and firewall on a 65 770?

Is there any clearance issue with 4.0L exhaust and the 232 Starter motor?

Camshafts seem to be matter of opinion on the Forum. What make, model, specs are proven with such a head, intake & exhaust setup as you describe?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 6:48am
ANY year 4.0L head is better than any 232/258 head. The 87-90 Renix heads aren't as good as the later ones, but any year for a street car is fine. The 99-06 head has the smallest ports, but it flows just as good as the preferred 96-99 models up to about 4000 rpm. The smaller ports were optimized for greatest flow where you need it most for street driving. There isn't a big difference from 4000-5000 rpm with the earlier head either, really need to be on a flow bench or an all-out race engine to be noticed.

Exhaust manifolds aren't an issue. You COULD have some clearance issues with the starter on the left. One guy on the Forum has a 4.0L head on an early 232, maybe he will see this and chime in. I know he mentioned using Ford 351 pushrods, but not sure if Cleveland or Windsor...

From another post: "A 91-99 4.0L exhaust manifold should just barely clear a 69-71 starter after rotating the housing so the cable stud clears the manifold."  Cable stud on the solenoid that is on the starter.

Camshaft depends on what you want. Don't use a high lift camshaft (Comp Xtreme) -- you're going from 1.5 rocker shaft rockers to 1.6 bridged rockers already, so you're getting a bit extra lift. Something like the Isky 256 Supercam is great for mild street performance, or the Comp 260H. I wouldn't go more than the Isky 262 Supercam (they recommend 3.08 or steeper axle gears). The Comp 260H is right between the two Iskys, might be the better choice, but remember you're getting a little extra lift...

No firewall clearance issues.  I have a 4.0L in my 63, same under the hood as the 65.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 11:05pm
i'm sure you can make it fit, but not everything is a zero-fix drop-in. i had a lot of troubles with a later 258 in my 70 hornet. story is here: http://sr-ix.com/AMC/1970-AMC-Hornet/May2005.html

when you zero in on the details of chassis evolution, there's often surprises. the 70 and 71 hornets are different from 72 up. 70 at least has a lot of "69 rambler" (american) parts -- rear valance, gas filler, ...

in the 70 hornet engine compartment the wiper and heater box is a different shape than other years. not trying to be discouraging! i think enough of these swaps have been done that if there were any show-stoppers they'd be common knowledge (eg. 232/258 in the early americans).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic