TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 Rambler Classic 660 Cross Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 10:15am
If you are staying factory with HVAC in the car.
I'd recommend you build a sloped panel that started about the mid point of the core and angled down.
I'd do that on the front and the side closest to the wiper motor, perhaps even the outside? Then I'd make the lip about 2"s tall on any side the roof does not cover.

On my Convertible I simply welded a gigantic sloped plate over the whole hole. Gone.
   When I get to it I will put a vintage air or maybe just a heat only box without the outside air intake.
It's a convertible and I'm not too concerned with much more than defrosters and some floor heat. A/C? just don't know if I want to fool with it.

My troughs are longer and in worse shape than those! so, don't get too discouraged. Just take you time and plan so you don't weld yourself into a spot that leaves you unable to weld another spot!

If you can swing the money, I'd recommend a shrinker/stretcher tool/s. Check ebay as I bought one from HF, then turned around and got one of each on ebay for like $15 and $20 ea! They were returns sold by a third party. They make it easy to get a flange that follows the corners you need to put back in the cowl and even the lip around the HVAC intake.  I'd also recommend a small metal brake, even the 18" one from HF makes life easier.

Don't forget to have fun, and don't sit cross legged under the spot you are welding!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Harry the hoser View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry the hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 11:21am
Can any one tell me how to run an add for parts I need? I have a 64 99H ambassador 2 door hard top that I need glass for, and I have a 1960 4 door that I need the 2 passenger doors for I am new to this forum and really can,t even find a classified section to look for parts thanks in advance for any help 
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 12:34pm
Hey Harry, 

Welcome to the site.  I think you have to have 30 posts before you can post in the "Parts Wanted" and "For Sale" sections.  You can still read them though and Private Message someone if they have a part you need.  30 posts goes quickly.  Just check out some topics you like and make a comment.  Or start a topic of your own.  The folks on this forum are a great community and always willing to answer questions or just chat.

Ray
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 12:58pm
@Wrambler:  I do plan to keep the stock HVAC.  My brother and I have been discussing various ways to prevent water and debris from rusting it out again.  So far, the best solution we have devised is to weld in a partition between the heater core area and the air inlet.  The partition would have a slot of some sort 1-2 inches above the bottom of the cowl to let air into the heater core area.  This should stop pine needles and leaves from getting over and clogging the channels near the heater core air opening.

Needles and debris would still collect behind the wiper motor, but since the cowl is only held on by screws, I can clean that periodically.  There's no way to reach the heater core from the cowl vents, so it's understandable that nobody cleaned it before.  

That plan isn't set in stone yet.  I'm going to worry about fixing what's there first and then spend some of my considerable brain power Big smile figuring out how to stop it from happening again.

Thanks for the input!

Ray
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 3:32pm
I did like seeing the Yoke from the torque tube.
That pretty much answers my internal question as to if the pre CV joint TT yoke could be used to replace the 65-66 Yoke. I'd bet money it will.

So, if anyone parts out any TT cars before they added in that now hard to get parts for CV save the Yoke! This would be all the automatic cars up till 65, maybe? you could probably swap in the whole shaft.

Do you have it? I'd be interested in measurements to compare, I have a 65 shaft out in my garage.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 3:55pm
So there were two different yolks used in the TT cars?  I wasn't aware.  Is the yolk in the pictures not correct for my car (a '65)?  I'll look and see if there's anything out on the TT itself when I get home.  I can measure anything you want :)
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 5:55pm
Id say you are lucky to have the engine out now to fix it.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry the hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 7:19pm
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry the hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 7:20pm
how do I start a new thread as I am looking for some parts and can,t find a classified section here
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2014 at 8:39pm
No, I think yours is correct for the 6 cyl. The 8 cyl got a double U-joint/CV type joint and now it is hard to find parts for. The theory is the double CV provides a smoother operation, but they did not use it until the end of the TT? They were shooting for Gold with the Ambassador and the wheelbase stretch, so that is best guess?

I got the threads I was looking at mixed up, didn't mean to scare you!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic