TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'65 Marlin Water Pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart R. Orlans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '65 Marlin Water Pump
    Posted: May/18/2014 at 7:51pm
I bought a Cardone 58-283 water pump for my '65 Marlin with the 232 engine. Apparently, the 58-283 pump is the long shaft pump as it is longer than the one that came out of the car. Now the 58-282 pump appears to have the shorter shaft, but is listed as the pump for engines with "automatic fans" which I assume means clutch fans. My Marlin has a regular four-blade fan but has the shorter pump.

Has anybody else had experience with 232 water pumps?
Bart R. Orlans

They call me daddy at home
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2014 at 8:08pm
Yes, I ordered one and the stem was too short so I added a spacer from an auto parts store. Figure I can remove it if ever going to electric fans. The two pumps were 58-281 and 58-283. Can't remember which was which but lots of them on Ebay I think.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2014 at 8:55am
Something in my memory says that the 58-283 was the short shaft pump so maybe they sent you the wrong one.
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2014 at 9:01am

If you have a 5/8" heater hose nipple on the pump you removed, good luck finding the correct pump in a regular auto parts store (Cardone does not have the correct pump). I ended up getting mine from Kanter (yes, it's more than the parts store part but it has a lifetime warrenty and actually fit the car). The AMC vendors can probably supply one as well.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
Bart R. Orlans View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart R. Orlans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2014 at 9:19am

Okay, so my brain must be broken. I meant to say the pump in the car has the long shaft and the 58-283 has the short one. Sorry about that. Too many paint fumes this weekend.

Anyway, if the 58-283 is the short shaft pump, which is the long one? 58-282? And Vinny, I may do what you did with the spacer if I can't find the right one.

Edited by Bart R. Orlans - May/19/2014 at 9:30am
Bart R. Orlans

AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2014 at 4:53pm
Have had that same problem before.Saved the old bad short pump as a core for rebuild for the future.
MrBill View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2014 at 5:25pm
The 58-282 is the short shaft pump.
I know since I bought one and it was the wrong one for my application.
I still have it. The box is water damaged but not badly. It was left at my front door during a storm while I was at work.
It comes with the gasket.
If you need it PM me. I don't need it.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart R. Orlans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2014 at 7:08am
Originally posted by MrBill MrBill wrote:

The 58-282 is the short shaft pump.
I know since I bought one and it was the wrong one for my application.
I still have it. The box is water damaged but not badly. It was left at my front door during a storm while I was at work.
It comes with the gasket.
If you need it PM me. I don't need it.

Thank you for the kind offer. I am going to use a fan spacer behind the pulley so I do not have to rely on a hard to find part when I am out on the road in the middle of no place. Working out the details now and will report on it when I get it together this weekend.

Thanks again.
Bart R. Orlans

AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bart R. Orlans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2014 at 10:14am
So along with the 58-283 being the shorter pump, it also has a different sized impeller. I didn't see that coming. the 58-283 is on the left, the pump that was in my car is on the right. It had a rebuild sticker on it when I got the car, but had clearly been installed some time ago. The larger impeller was catching on something inside the block so I gave up on a new water pump and will hope the old one holds out until I find a replacement that will fit.

Bart R. Orlans

carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2014 at 12:14pm
You should be able to see roughly where it was touching. Most remans I have dealt with in the past required the impeller being pressed on the shaft a bit more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic