TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 marlin (new to me)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 9:32pm
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 8:05am
You got a snazzy looking Marlin !! Mike, instead of having AMC Fun you are having a AMC Blast !!!! And a Mopar guy too !!

My very first vehicle was a 48 Ply. Given to me to get it out of the mans yard. Had a bad rod bearing so I removed the piston, put in a fence post. It was sure faster than my bicycle !! It was the birth of my "junk car" career.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 8:46am
A couple of days ago while driving around I came up behind one of the short-lived Chrysler Crossfires.  It was easy to see where they got the design for the rear end from.  Personally, I like the Marlin better.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 12:36pm
That's interesting as we picked my wife's Yukon up from the dealer service department and a couple was sitting in a Crossfire in the waiting area.
Mike
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 5:52pm
Cool.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 9:30pm
Evening folks,

Haven't done to much with the marlin this week.  Did have some divine intervention on the dash illumination lamps, they have started working.  The illumination is even and goes up and down without issue, I'll keep the new light switch just in case Smile.  Do have one light out, Map Light switch doesn't light up.  I'll remove the tissue dispenser and stick my head up there and see how tough it is to replace.

This car had it's share of electrical/lighting issues.  Discovered tonight either the cigarette lighter is bad or the wire to it isn't hot.  May be next week before I get to it, judging at a BBQ event in the city Saturday.

Did get shocks in for the front of the marlin.  Went with shocks from the bad of a mustang..we'll see how it works.   Have read a post on this site where someone installed them and liked the results...I have high hopes.

If you have a parts car, I'm still looking for a trunk light and complete glove box light and switch.

Thanks!!

Mike
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2018 at 9:34pm
Should have mentioned, last Saturday I took the Marlin to a small car show supporting prom and after prom activities.

Won a Top 10 plaque.  I've got a much nicer 48 Plymouth business coupe (street rod) and have never received any type of award.  I'm still amazed at how much attention the Marlin draws when I have it out.  Most don't know what it is, and those that do haven't seen one in person.

Go figure.

Mike
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 9:29pm
Beautiful car & congratulations; you are one of rare few who will ever get to own and drive one of these very interesting cars.

Yes Rambler Marlins look better in person; cameras don't do them justice unless you are a trained photographer and/or take lots of pictures, throw away the bad and only show the good ones that flatter the dramatic lines of the car.

('74/6 big bumper Gremlins and hump fender Javelins can look bad viewing poorly taken pics also)

I hesitate to offer advice but IMO, I think you might really enjoy getting a pair of seat back braces so you can 'lay down the seats' (and show off to the 'other make' people etc)

...every now and then the seat braces pop up for sale on eBay...

AMC made 'dealer item' side window screens for Rambler Marlins also?

Here's a pic of my '65 interior with the seats laid down:

...there were 'dealer item' inflatable wedge shaped pillows made to fill in the front seat areas, apparently the blow up pillows came in a pouch to fit in the glove box...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really have a lot to say about these cars; I could write a small book on 'em I guess but I like building cars instead.

IMO (I have no documentation for evidence) the Marlin name was partly chosen for it's symbolism of AMC's very successful Kelvinator Division's sales in Europe, whereas the actual Marlin fish was known to swim a trans-Atlantic migratory route. Hence the fish was an analogy for AMC's business overseas. (the early '65 Marlin pictured above had a light teal colored transmission tag stating it's Warner Gear automatic was made in England)

-and so the trans-Atlantic route was again alluded to with Daimler and Chrysler 'Crossfire'.

AMC Marlins have their place in automotive history seated in between the '48 Tucker, '56/7 Chrysler Norseman and '67 Dodge Charger & '69 Ford Talledega (If you ever see a Tucker in person you'll see exactly what I mean; the overall size and aesthetics are undeniably similar)

...the best looking wheels on a Rambler Marlin are the 'turbine style' wheels IMO -to match all the other finned ornamental styling cues on the car. I had 'Western' turbine wheel rims on mine. 15 x 7 with 235R6015 tires fit great...

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 10:07pm
Thanks for the info!!  I've never seen the seats folded down and was not aware a seat brace is needed.  I've got a lot to learn about these fish!!

Thanks again

Mike
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 10:09pm
I might ask, your Marlin...is it an early example 65?  I've read somewhere the early ones have machine turned trim on the interior and later ones had a wood finish rather than the turned metal.

Thanks again

Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic