TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 marlin (new to me)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 marlin (new to me)
    Posted: Apr/10/2018 at 1:37pm
Guess I was posting in the wrong area concerning my punch list for the Marlin (what did you work on today).

I've had the radiator repaired, took the water pump to KC to be rebuilt, new radiator hoses, had to repair the reclining mechanism on the passenger seat.  It had a lot on minor electrical issues...about half faulty ground issues, a crushed wire in the trunk, damaged tail light plug, courtesy lights didn't work, drivers door light switch not getting a ground.

Car hadn't been driven hardly at all for the last 20 or so years, so you expect stuff will need a little attention.

Working on dash lights at the moment, thought I had 99% of the lighting needs competed.....last night noticed not a single dash illumination light works.  Gauges work, turn indicators work, high beam light works, alt and oil light work....

I'm guessing another bad ground or rheostat in the light switch not working.  Every bulb can't be burnt out.

If you read this far I'm looking for a couple of light related items, trunk light complete, I have a hot bare wire.  Also looking for everything for the glove box light...another bare wire hanging.

I've driven it about 150 miles, think the carb is going to be replaced (287 two bbl)  I have a LOT of receipts from a couple of the previous owners and the carb has been worked on a bunch.  Someone added a hand throttle.

Anyway, I'll post as I start/complete projects...please posts ideas on the dash light issue or if you have the about parts.

I think I have to have 30 posts before I can post pics of the car.

Thanks

Mike
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2018 at 3:21pm
Keep posting you will have 30 points before u know it. One of my favorites.....your 65 Marlin.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2018 at 5:57pm
I did fail to mention I'm also looking for a passenger side outer headlight ring.  Also, driving on a cool day today a chirp has developed in the low speed of the heater fan....another item for the punch list

Disapprove

Mike
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 6:09am
Mike,
You are most probably correct about the headlight switch. My guess your heater noise is leaves and trash in the blower, but a shot of WD 40 might due wonders.

Sounds as if you are well on the road to AMC Fun !!

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 3:33pm
Hi Guys

Been soaking my windshield washer hood sprayer for three or four days in apple cider vinegar to clean the gunk out of it.  Looks pretty good this morning.

Went down to the local NAPA to get some new hose for it and a part I didn't think they would stock, a headlight switch.  They had one....guessing it must be used in several makes/models for them to have one in stock.

Got a tip at lunch there is a very small yard just south (10 or 12 mile) of me that may have a mid sixties Rambler, or other car, suitable to find a glove box light and trunk light.  If they actually have a 65 Classic or Marlin I may be able to find a passenger outer headlight ring.

Received the missing passenger side backup lens housing from a forum member in the mail today.  It will work great.

Got another surprise too, I checked the engine oil after a 40 mile round trip this morning and it was still right at the full line, however, the oil was much dirtier than I would have expected.  Oil had been changed just before I got it, and I've driven it 200 miles, or a little more miles.  Guess I'll change the oil on very short intervals a few times and see if it improves.  My 48 Plymouth (318 powered) and wife's car get changed every 2,800 to 3,000 miles and the oil looks almost as good as when it was first changed.

Car has been seldom driven over the last 20 years so maybe this is to be expected.

I'm pretty new to the forum, hope the above fits in the Projects section...if not just let me know.

Mike
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 3:36pm
Ollie,

Thanks for the reminder on trash around the heater motor, although this sounds just like the chirp my 48 Plymouth developed in the heater motor and turned out to be a dry bushing.

Mike
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 9:24pm
Well, have all the exterior lights working  Smile, the rear of the car someone made a slight mess of the wiring trying to install a trailer harness.  Got it all cleaned up nice now.

Next will be installing the new headlight switch to see if that restores the dash illumination lamps.

The little yard south of me turned out to be a bust.  Still looking for trunk light and all of the glove box light pieces.

Have a good evening guys!

Mike
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 9:27pm
Thought I'd post a few pictures of the Marlin

a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 9:30pm
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 9:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic