TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 Classic with bent Axle. Need help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DailyDriver770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 Classic with bent Axle. Need help.
    Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 5:15am
I'm new to the AMC world. My driver side rear axle shaft is bent. I'm not looking to replace the whole rear-end. I just need an axle. Can you tell what will work? Will a axle shaft from a ford work? 
Thanks,
Pete.  
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 9:22am
When you say you are not looking to replace the whole rear end (housing?) are you sure it is not bent also?

As far as I know no other makes (ford/dodge/chevy/etc.) axle shaft will inter change with AMC.
I am sure someone that knows more than me on the older AMCs will tell you what other AMCs to look for the needed part.

If that does not pan out I would think like we do for the Javelin/AMX/etc you could go to Moser to make you a set. Then you don't need to worry about the hub spinning on the axle shaft.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
DailyDriver770 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DailyDriver770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 10:05am
Hi Dave,
I just got the car not to long ago. I noticed the driver side rear wheel is wobbling. I jacked the car up and took off the wheel. The drum assembly is wobbling. I've replaced the drum and all brake hardware. The rear-end assembly is not making any noises that it shouldn't be. Going to take it to a shop to have them pull that side apart to confirm whats going on.

If it is the axle, I just wanted to know what my options are to fix it. I'm having a hard time finding parts for a 65. If the (housing) is bent, will a 84-92 ranger 7.5 axle assembly be a direct fit or will I have to make modifications to it? My rambler has a torque tube and a amc 20 housing.

Pete.

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 11:06am
As you've said you have a torque tube driveline. Therefore the Ford 7.5 is NOT a direct fit. Others have done it but it requires modifications and fabrications. If that is your last resort you may get information regarding the swap in the FrankenRambler section of this forum. See what the shop says about what you have now.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DailyDriver770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 11:30am
Thanks for the info rocklandrambler. Taking it in tomorrow.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 12:10pm
See I did not know it was a TT car as I don't know the model break down for them.
I wonder if the hub spun on the shaft and they were welded together? It would not be the first one I have seen or heard of "fixed" that way.
Again if you cant find a used axle shaft & hub I would think Moser could make axles for your car and never have to worry of the hub coming off again.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DailyDriver770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 12:27pm
Thanks Dave,
Keeping fingers crossed that it's something simple. The way my luck has been going with this car, I just wanted to be prepared for the worst. I want to stick with as much AMC parts as I can. It's just been a nightmare finding stuff. 

Pete.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 1:31pm
When dealing with AMC cars we don't get into them for "easy to get parts" as not much is made for them as replacement parts go.

I would put an ad in the wanted section asking for the bad axle as I am sure it will need one if you see the wheel moving all over the place when spinning. This way you get the ball rolling if it is needed.
If me I would ditch the 2 piece axle so I would not have to deal with them again.
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 5:24pm
I have a complete 61 Classic rear axle with torque tube.  I am in Pennsylvania and plan to take what is left of the car to a yard in about 1-2 weeks.  Do you know how difficult it is to pull an axle?  I see the big  nut on the outside.  I'd need your old one to make the car roll unless you want the whole axle which is what I would do.  GO to the FOR SALE section and see the add under PARTING o OUT 61 CLASSIC (Oct 8th).  I'm only trying to make it worth my time and effort to pull the parts.  Trying to help a few guys with parts before it gets crushedWink

Hope this helps,
Ron
Ron Francis
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/01/2015 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

When dealing with AMC cars we don't get into them for "easy to get parts" as not much is made for them as replacement parts go.

I would put an ad in the wanted section asking for the bad axle as I am sure it will need one if you see the wheel moving all over the place when spinning. This way you get the ball rolling if it is needed.
If me I would ditch the 2 piece axle so I would not have to deal with them again.
Dave ----
Pretty much agree here.   if the hub is bent, you cant just take it off and put it on another axle. Hubs are not available.... when hubs are put on an axle, the axle splines cut into the hub.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic