TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 Classic Torque Tube Trouble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 Classic Torque Tube Trouble
    Posted: Jun/29/2015 at 6:06am
Hi guys, 

I have had my transmission rebuilt and now when mating it to the torque tube the plates don't meet and have a 10-15mm gap. The axle came forward when removing the transmission so I'm wondering if this seal on the axle in the middle has moved or something like that. I have measured the yoke that connects to the diff and it has a 50mm female joint, but the axle only seems to go in 40mm. The seal about halfway along also has 4 even grooves that the shop thought might need to be alligned inside the tube when fitting the axle back in but this doesn't seem the case. Can anyone shed some light on this subject? Could the trans yoke be too long? Thanks in advance!

Pictures are here as I couldn't upload them. http://enforcegroup.com.au/rambler/

Cheers, 

Luke
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2015 at 7:21am
Ok I had my tranny for my 64 327 rebuilt by the same fellow who rebuilt it for my folks in 1980.

When it was about done he called and said to bing my TT over and I am going to show you a trick for these torque tube cars. He had installed a new rear bushing in the tail shaft.

As we watched he stood the tail shaft on end and matted them together. It took some massaging and some thumping force until it was seated.

He told me that with new rear bushing it is difficult to close the gap. Other wise you would need pull straps to get it to seat.

When I installed the TT back on it slipped on with ease.

Also, I installed the TT to the rear member first and rolled (I have the car on a lift and a tranmsission jack under the rear) it forward.

Edited by gtoman_us - Jun/29/2015 at 7:26am
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
skravo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2015 at 9:35am
Thanks for the reply gtoman. 
I know a new rear bushing was fitted into the transmission where the yoke comes out to mate with the tailshaft, but he measured this and said it should be in far enough. They haven't touched the torque tube assembly. I will try to slide on the shaft without the tube tomorrow by itself. I just wish I knew the depths of everything. I have the service manual but it is a bit vague. 

The thing is I have removed the trans from the engine a couple of times before and not had this issue,  but this time the tailshaft came out and the trans has been rebuilt so I'm not sure where the issue lies.

I was able to clamp it down and can bolt it together but it was damaging the trunnion seal so obviously something isn't right. I have noticed there is a spring inside the tailshaft as well. I don't know whether it's the tailshaft or the trans which is the problem.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2015 at 8:32am
Okay, took me a minute to figure out what I'm, looking at! The photos is of the junction in the tubular and solid halves of a V-8 driveshaft. The "seal" in the center is the centering bearing. IIRC, If you look at the tube itself there may be a slight indention (I think two opposite each other) near the center that two of the four grooves should go into. The shaft should be inserted into the tube from the FRONT only, not from the rear.

Here's the pic:

Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2015 at 8:34am
To post a pic from another source type (IMG)url(/IMG) --- use square brackets instead of parenthesis though (won't let me type square brackets so they show!)
Frank Swygert
skravo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2015 at 10:58am
All good, I rememered there was another Rambler at a wrecker here and went down there and pulled off the trans to check the difference. I could see the axle was a lot further forward so I took off the rear case off the spline and it ended up being the shop had to make up a bushing that sits behind the rear seal on the transmission and it was getting stuck on there. They are making up a smaller one now for me.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Here a few photo's for you

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic