TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 classic. Brake parts. Wagner.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 classic. Brake parts. Wagner.
    Posted: Mar/25/2019 at 4:52am
Is there a one stop source for wheel cylinders, hardware and shoes? 

I see 9" and 10". I assume I can simply measure the drum? 

I have a 1/4" bleeder, and I'm told that indicates Wagner brakes?

Thanks in advance.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2019 at 5:45am
Pull a brake drum and look! Bendix uses a cable self adjuster, Wagner uses a pair of rods. One of the AMC vendors should have all the parts. you might try RockAuto as well.
Frank Swygert
DocLong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2019 at 6:22pm
Pulling the drum isn't the problem. The problem is knowing what I'm looking at. 

All of my past experience is in the VW world...where the variables are much less common. If I order brakes for a 65 Type 1, I will get the right parts...

AMC is odd to me.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2019 at 8:46pm
it's very simple! AMC used Bendix, or Wagner, more or less randomly. there is no pattern to it as far as i know. simple! yeah, sorry, not helpful.

O_o

in  fit of foolishness i typed in all AMC brake data i had access to (most of it). directly from factory manuals.

not that this helps you much either:

as frank sez, you gotta pull a wheel off to look. post pics if you can.

the good news is, the parts you want are readily available.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2019 at 9:32pm
Well the 66 TSM for the Americans states which cars had the Bendix and which had the Wagner brakes.  I don't know about other TSMs but it's all there for the 66's.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 1:46am
V8s use Bendix 10" drums.

I6's use Wagner 9" drums.

AMC thought that cars with six cylinder engines didn't need to stop as well. It's stupid but that's what they did.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 3:33am
My 64 Classic had Bendix 9" drums and the 66 Ambassador I6 donor car had Bendix 10" drums.

67 American with the V-8 had Wagner 10", or I assume Wagner drums if it has a Wagner MC, which it does. 

Edited by vinny - Mar/26/2019 at 3:47am
DocLong View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocLong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 3:33am
Fantastic replies. Thank you folks. 

The table, or at least the "prelude" to the table helps.

I think I got it. I think .

I can't post pics yet.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 3:52am
Your master cylinder should tell what system you have, provided no one has converted it over. Bendix has the wire to hold the oval cap on whereas Wagner uses a bolt to hold the rectangular  cap on.

Edited by vinny - Mar/26/2019 at 3:54am
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 6:09am
There was reason behind Bendix and Wagner brakes. Certain models used one type or the other, but the TSMs do mention which used what. The main reason AMC used both (and just in the early 60s... by 68 or so they had switched to just Bendix) was due to supply concerns. In the late 50s there were a couple strikes that infringed on supply, leading to production delays -- and some were lengthy. With more than one supplier there was less concern about someone else's problem becoming AMCs. The catch was they had to have orders with those suppliers. So some cars used one manufacturer, some another. But there is "rhyme and reason" to what model used what brakes.

Easiest way to tell if you have Bendix or Wagner brakes is to pull a drum. Bendix uses a cable for self-adjusters, Wagner uses a rod linkage.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic