TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 classic 660 starting issues:(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2016 at 12:02pm
If you have a filter built in to the fuel pump loosen the clamp holding on the can covering the filter and see what you've got. The filter element inside is probably covered in crud which is partially blocking your fuel flow. The filter element is a NAPA 3038 and is usually under five bucks.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
65Classy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65Classy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2016 at 1:19pm
The little straps that hold the bowl unit in place and the hardware is all rusty I'm considering just pulling the fuel pump and seeing what doest break I was looking to replace it awhile back and I have vaccum wipers on my car from what I found and couldn't find a pump what are my options as far as pumps go? I considered just completely refreshing the fuel system and putting in an electric inline and a clear view in but with the vaccum pump and the fact it still worked I didn't go that route. Now if I do happen to break some part of it ID like to know I can find that part or a new pump assembly if needed.
65Classy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65Classy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2016 at 1:29pm
I'd like to keep it as original as possible I don't want to hack it all up Its a really nice car I want tobdo it some justice. I'm trying to add a picture hope I did it right.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2016 at 3:30pm
Your fuel pump can be rebuilt with a kit from www.then-now.com in Massachusetts or they can rebuild it for you for a reasonable price. The dual action fuel pumps also show up on eBay from time to time. Have you checked Rock Auto to see if they have one? For now spray some penetrating oil on the filter strap and get that old filter out. If you have a new clear filter installed BEFORE the pump you can run the car without the old filter. Just pull it out and reinstall the cover.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1965 American 440-H
-sinner- View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -sinner- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2016 at 4:06pm
Check the LEAD wires under the distributor cap.

So, my 65 Classic 770 'Vert was doing the same thing and driving me bananas. It has the original 327 and the original points-and-condenser distributor. Rebuilt the carb (Holley 4-barrels hate ethanol, dontchaknow), replaced the spark plugs, coil, cap, plug wires, points and condenser. Still hit or miss on starting or even sparking. Getting tons of super premium fuel with VP anti-ethanol additive, Sta-bil and Seafoam in it. I finally broke down and pulled the distributor. I did not want to do that, because I wasn't confident in my ability to get it back into the engine correctly. With the distributor out of the car, I pulled everything off of it--cap, condenser, vacuum advance module, and the 'lead' wires. These were the problem--they were loosely screwed in place. I never saw or found any place where the lead wires were grounding out against the metal of the distributor, but that is what I think was happening. I put everything back together, making sure to route those wires and the condenser's wire, properly and fixed them in place very firmly (read that as 'screwed 'em down as tight as I could without breaking stuff') and dropped the dist back into the motor. Put the cap on, got all the connections back in place, and the thing fired right up without a sputter! So check those lead wires! You can't even eyeball them with the dist on the car, though.

Hope this helps!
65Classy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65Classy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2016 at 4:25pm
Thanks rock n rambler I may just get a kit and do it just for the peace of mind. Thanks for the hint sinner I'll def. Check them I did have a little issue with the little rubber grommet for the wire on the distributor when I replaced the points.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2016 at 6:35am
You might also try running the fuel in line from the pump to a quart or so container of gas and let it pull from there. That would at least verify that the tank and/or feed line from the tank is good or bad. I hung a half gallon jug under the hood on one for a while. Never drove far until I got the line fixed, really just moved it around the yard except for one 2-3 mile run just to make sure that was the problem. 
Frank Swygert
fritznbud View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritznbud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2016 at 8:33am
Originally posted by 65Classy 65Classy wrote:

I was thinking it could be a choke issue how does one go about checking the choke out to make sure it's working correctly I have the ole 1bbl carb I noticed it runs of a lever that runs into the intake etc.
                                                                I have the same #1906 Holley 1 barrel carb, don't know how to test the choke but I do know it has to be closed tight. A 7/8 closed choke will not cut it, it must be all the way choked or it will not start. I keep pressure on my cable as I crank the motor. Stuff a rag in the carb and see if it fires up, I have done it, be careful
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2016 at 8:40am
Originally posted by fritznbud fritznbud wrote:

Originally posted by 65Classy 65Classy wrote:

I was thinking it could be a choke issue how does one go about checking the choke out to make sure it's working correctly I have the ole 1bbl carb I noticed it runs of a lever that runs into the intake etc.
                                                                I have the same #1906 Holley 1 barrel carb, don't know how to test the choke but I do know it has to be closed tight. A 7/8 closed choke will not cut it, it must be all the way choked or it will not start. I keep pressure on my cable as I crank the motor. Stuff a rag in the carb and see if it fires up, I have done it, be careful

Doesn't the 1906 Holley have a hot air choke? What cable are you talking about that you keep pressure on? Stuffing a rag in a carb and trying to start it is the quickest way I know of to get a rag sucked into the engine and doing serious damage.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1965 American 440-H
65Classy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65Classy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2016 at 6:05pm
Well updates are always a good thing so here we go. I went out and figured I'd give her a go today see what I could get getting and after a little charging with the Silverado we were turning over and over and over again woth I tinkered with the carb a tad messed with the choke a bit and got her to sputter and spit a bit so I let it sit and charge for a minute and I grabbed my trusty plastic hammer and went around tapping the fuel pump and filter area just to see if it may free up flow a bit I took the advice i got here and flipped the choke all the shut on the carb and hit the key and she popped right off and ran it's got a real high idle I messed with the mixture screw and got the distributor freed up and turning so my question now is how does one tune these motors in timing,carb etc. I have a timing light and an old dwell meter I believe   I'm happy to have gotten it running it's nice to be able to pump the gas a couple times and hear it fire and run I even took it for a cruise around the yard haha. Any advice on tuning it in is much appreciated ID love to be able to take it camping soon:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic