TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

65 American Driveshaft?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 65 American Driveshaft?
    Posted: Jul/20/2007 at 4:15am
I don't know how to disconnect the driveshaft from the rear end on my 65 Rambler American. It's not a torque tube setup. It almost looks like it screws out of the pinion. If anybody can tell me what to do or I'm just not seeing something please let me know.  I would appreciate it. I haven't tried to disconnect it. All I did was look at it and say " What The He** Is That" and moved on to something else to work on.
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2007 at 5:32am
No good news here bud. Confused  What you see is the infamous "big nut" rear exclusive to the Americans in 64-65. There is actually a pinion coming out of the diff. that the big nut clamps down on. The only ways to get the driveshaft out are to either unbolt the whole damn rear end and slide it back, or remove the engine and tranny! Angry  Not sure who the sadist was who came up with this design, but I hope Karma did some payback! Oh, BTW, that big nut will have about 300lbs of torque on it too. Dead
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2007 at 6:26am
Crap that sucks! Thanks Ray for the heads up. The driveshaft is bent slightly so it has to come out to be straightened. My machinist friend can straighten the thing on a lathe for nothing but that figures that I would pay for it somewhere else. I'll save that job for later. Do you think it would be Ok when I'm done putting it back together to tighten the big nut as much as I can then drive it to a big rig truck shop to have it tightened to spec?
1982 Jeep J-20
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2007 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by ramblinfsj ramblinfsj wrote:

Do you think it would be Ok when I'm done putting it back together to tighten the big nut as much as I can then drive it to a big rig truck shop to have it tightened to spec?

Yeah, that's what I'd do. I'd use a couple hefty pipe wrenches against eachother first though. There's obviously not enough clearance for the shaft to pop out, but you could screw up the pinion seal. Really it's more of a vibration thing.
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2007 at 12:50am
ramblinfsj, Ray, there's good news! The "big nut" doesn't have to be touched to get the driveshaft out!

1. Jack the car up in the back and support the axle. Not the body, must be the axle! If you support the body the axle moves forward just enough to bind the driveshaft in.

2. Disassemble the u-joint. It's a bit tight, but with the trans in neutral it can be done. Take the clips and caps off the yoke that's on the axle then turn the cross and drop the shaft.

3. Install is the reverse, of course.

I learned this from an old Rambler service guy. Done it many times! That yoke on the pinion must be installed at a certain distance from the axle and then the tightness as well. The pinion shaft and inside the yoke must be clean and grease free. The car can sling the driveshaft out if it isn't clean and tight. Found that out the hard way! Vibration and starting/stopping will work it forward over a short time, allowing it to sling out when the suspension flexes and increases the space between the trans and rear axle. Slinging out in the back isn't really traumatic, just annoying after the first time or two. Took me a while to get the nut tight enough the first time I removed it.
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2007 at 5:49am
Thanks Farna! I actually thought about disassembling the u-joint to see if that would work but never got under it to see. I guess your reply answered that. I'll give it a shot. Ray, Frank I really do appreciate it. You to have been a great help.
1982 Jeep J-20
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2007 at 5:01am
If you need a driveshaft I have one from a 65 American I am parting out.  It looks good.  I'll sell it for $25 plus shipping.  BTW the big nut was used on the 1966 Americans which had the 199 engine too.  I have dealt with one before and unbolted the rear end like farna suggested.  It's a pain but can be done.  PM me if you want the driveshaft.
Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2007 at 7:13am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

If you need a driveshaft I have one from a 65 American I am parting out.  It looks good.  I'll sell it for $25 plus shipping. PM me if you want the driveshaft.
Joe

If you can hold it for me for the next 2 to 3 weeks so I can see if my buddy can straighten the one I got that would be great. Can you figure the shipping to 79407?
1982 Jeep J-20
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
freetheoranges View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freetheoranges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2009 at 3:19am
Ugh. I'm in the same predicament.  I need to drop the tranny to get at the clutch, and I'm waiting for my repair manual to arrive, but I'm just tackling it right now and got a little lost on how to get the drive shaft out.  :(  I need new bushings anyways, maybe just unbolt the rear end anyways, maybe cut the springs a tad, remove a leaf.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2009 at 10:07am
As Frank said, way back in 2007 Wink  The best way is to take it apart at the ujoint.
Remove the clips and disassemble the joint and you can get the shaft out.

if you attempt the "big nut" removal method Tom Jennings has some info on it now.
www.wps.com  you'll have to dig around to find the info, He does have a LOT of info posted there on AMCs.  With the big nut, you have to have it all clean before attempting to get it retorqued. Tom said it was not that big a deal once he bought the proper wrenches and cleaned it all up!
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic