TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '65 195.6 OHV - Fan belt and fuel filter part num?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'65 195.6 OHV - Fan belt and fuel filter part num?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruceg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '65 195.6 OHV - Fan belt and fuel filter part num?
    Posted: Feb/11/2008 at 1:32am
Hey all (and hi amcyclopedia folks!) - I went to look for a replacement fuel filter for my 1965 Rambler American 196 OHV. Autozone didn't carry it. Picked up a fan belt from Napa, but it seems a few inches too small.

So - the question is: what manufacturer and part number should I ask for when picking up a fan belt and fuel filter for the 196 OHV? Also - I was thinking of just taking off a length of fuel hose and matching it - but if any of you know the diameter, what is it?

I'm taking off the gas tank to get it cleaned and sealed - and wanted to replace the fuel lines and fuel filter while I'm at it. Any of you have better luck at one auto parts store over another as far as getting the right parts? Or is it in large part a function of who's at the parts counter?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2008 at 4:30am

There is the fuel strainer which fits over the fuel pickup pipe inside your fuel tank.  That strainer is stocked by several of the AMC vendors I think (like Galvins Rambler parts or American Parts Depot).  Also, I have been told that a first generation Mustang fuel strainer is the same part.

There is a fuel filter mounted on some of the fuel pumps I think, but I usually put a transparent plastic inline filter in the line between the fuel pump and the carburetor.  This is a standard auto part available at any parts store.

I can give you Dayco or Gates numbers off of some 196s I have at home if no one else provides them in the next day or so.

Regards,
Joe

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
bruceg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruceg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2008 at 6:27am
Thanks Joe. I've got the gas tank off - so doing the fuel strainer should be straight-forward. I'd just like to verify part numbers if at all possible, as I've bought and returned a bunch of stuff.

If not - I'll just bring the parts in to match 'em up before leaving.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2008 at 7:12am
Here are some numbers for a fan belt:

1964 Rambler Classic with alternator, not generator.
196 OHV   Gates 7375 (408S)

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2008 at 8:38am
The fuel strainer I used was Ford part number D1F2 9A011-A. I picked it up at a local Ford dealer. This fits the 5/16" dia. fuel inlet. 
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2008 at 12:25pm
Fuel hose is 5/16", as bb69 indicated.
Fuel pump filter element numbers: Fram CG7, Wix 33943 (w/glass bowl)
 Fram CG8, AC GF417, Lee LG-450, Wix 33038 (w/metal bowl)
I got that from a 63 AMCRC "Rambler Guide" cross reference list, should be current. No cross reference given for the belts, I was surprised that wasn't there! If you know the length of the belt (or know how much shorter you need than the one you have) the store can look it up by length.

Frank Swygert
bruceg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruceg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2008 at 12:48am
Thanks everyone for the help. Got the right fuel filter at Napa. No hassles. Returned the fan belt, and simply asked for one by length, not application. Worked like a charm.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic