TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 Wagon -- IT'S ALIVE! -- bags going on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 5:02pm
Back on valve seats again. Machine shop recommends replacing the exhaust valve seats. I see them listed on the Rockauto website. Are the gen 1 heads designed for replaceable seats, or will the shop have to machine out the head for the new inserts?
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2015 at 5:09pm
The sender is specific to the 3rd seat wagon as well ask the fuel gauge. I recall that Kennedy or Galvins had a NOS unit.

The seat you have to machined in, and I got mine from Rockauto.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
RebelRay View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebelRay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2015 at 7:51pm
I'm a fan of all the Rambler wagons.  I'll be watching as you put her back together.  Looks like it's going to be a long journey, but it will be worth it in the end!  Nothing as cool as a Rambler wagon!

Ray
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2015 at 8:42pm
cool project.   looks as though you have your hands full to start off but I am sure you will do just fine.   the offer of a used motor and heads may just be a good place to start with in your shoes
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2015 at 8:56pm
well, had a chance to disassemble the rocker shafts this evening. I can see visible wear on the bottom side of the shaft at several rocker locations. Looks like this is going to be a problem. Both sides seem about the same. I guess its to be expected on this age motor with 105k miles.

I see a couple of the AMC vendors sell rebuilt sets. Is that the only option?
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2015 at 1:37am
Check eBay. I've seen bare 287/327 rocker shafts on there many times.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2015 at 6:07pm
Looks like shafts alone are pretty common. $40 ea or a little more on Ebay.  Guess I'll need to check the rockers somehow and see if they have unusual wear on them.

Shaft photos:

Looks like it's uneven wear. Does this usually mean the rockers are also in need of replacement?

Also I removed the water pump from the housing and found a Bakelite impeller. I was surprised. Unfortunately due to rust etc. it was damaged when removed. The pump itself seemed tight. I'm guessing with the paint color on the pump this would have been original to the engine. If so, pretty good service at 105K miles.

KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 11:56am
Originally posted by dogbone dogbone wrote:

well, had a chance to disassemble the rocker shafts this evening. I can see visible wear on the bottom side of the shaft at several rocker locations. Looks like this is going to be a problem. Both sides seem about the same. I guess its to be expected on this age motor with 105k miles.

I see a couple of the AMC vendors sell rebuilt sets. Is that the only option?

As others have pointed out, you can just replace the shafts but the arms are probably chewed up a some (very common on these, there is a lot of friction) and will wear out the new shaft pretty quickly. I don't know if new rocker arms are still available for the 287 and 327s but for the six cylinder motors, it is much, much cheaper to get a rebuilt set of rockers (new shafts and rebushed rockers) than all new rockers and shafts.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 12:49pm
I have a set on a 66k motor I can check out if needed. My 327 has 37k on it. Hoping they are good for my needs.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2015 at 5:46pm
Truck load O' Rambler parts!

Found just what I was needing relatively close by. Didn't really need the axle, I don't think, but it was thrown in for good measure. Came off a 66 Ambassador, not sure if it will even fit on my 64 Classic Wagon, but maybe some of the parts will if I need them. There was also a nice set of rockers and shafts that are good to go, and a spare starter. 

Heads have been magnafluxed so they should be good. I'm going to tear into the block and double check things. Owner said bearing and rings had been replaced. One cylinder has some pitting from rust. He was going to run it, but I think I'll look it over a little more closely.  

When repairing older cars like this do you always begin parts collection and end up with way more than you're going to need? I've got a feeling I'm going to have quite a pile of unused items.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic