TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 Wagon -- IT'S ALIVE! -- bags going on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 Wagon -- IT'S ALIVE! -- bags going on
    Posted: Mar/23/2015 at 7:59pm
Finally! I joined this forum almost exactly 8 years ago. My intention was to find out more about my 64 Cross Country Classic 770 wagon. Everyone here was great and supportive. Unfortunately life got in the way and the project pretty much stalled. I actually couldn't believe it had been that long since I first posted here.

We'll, I'm back! I'm committed, I hope---- to seeing this through. I've never done any kind of blog or build thread but my son and a friend said I should, so here goes. Hopefully I can keep enough progress going on that the thread will be interesting.

For some background here is may original post 8 years ago:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/topic3651_post29732.#29732 - http://theamcforum.com/forum/topic3651_post29732.html#29732

It has a little history of the car etc. I did go back in and fix a couple of photo links that were broken.

With it being 8 years down the road my son has grown up and he too is interested in cars. Not necessarily in Ramblers, but enough to be a good hand and offer good suggestions.  His tastes are along the lines of Nissan 240sx. But I think he'd like to see the CCC going again.

I keep telling him "we're going to fix that car and drive it to Patagonia." It would be quite some trip. Don't know if we'll make it to Patagonia, but I do have intentions of fixing it and taking a road trip at least to Panama City, Fla. to relive the last trip I took in the car back in 1966.

At any rate I guess I'm ready now to officially ring the bell and say this project is ON!

Last night we finished getting the engine/tranny out. The engine is locked up and some of the pushrods are off their rockers. (yes I probably am too) A couple members here said the intake valves are probably stuck and now the rods are likely bent. If this is going to be a road car, then it's got to be reliable. So out it comes for a complete rebuild.

It's got a 287, but I'm thinking I might be able to get it bored out to a 327. I read where a couple of people were able to do that on their 287s. I've already picked up a 4bbl. manifold to go on it in anticipation. If it's going to be rebuilt I figure I might as well go all the way if I can, couldn't be that much more expensive. The engine has already been rebuilt once in it's life, so I'm not exactly sure what I'll find when opening it up.

I've been fooling with it for the last couple of weeks getting prepared, and scoping out what's going on.

Gonna need some radiator repair

Looked and looked for this, finally found it. I just didn't know where to look, dooh. I thought it had been discarded during the previous rebuild. I'll put it back when complete.

Here are a couple of shots from last night as we finished up pulling it out. We had just enough room to slip it out before the shop hoist bottomed out on the basement duct work.

Kinda looks like it's jumping out of the car rarring to go!

Couldn't have done it with this guy. Looking back, wouldn't have been possible 8 years ago without having his help.
I'll bet that's some smelly fuel in there. 20 years old at least.

One nasty engine

That's all for now. The engine stand I was given to use for this project I don't believe is up to the task so I'm going to have to get one. I may be able to mount the tranny on it, we'll see.

I'm kinda new to Ramblers so all suggestions are welcomed. In addition to the added displacement, I'm kinda thinking an air ride suspension. Who knows????

Edited by dogbone - Aug/22/2016 at 10:45pm
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2015 at 8:08pm
Welcome Back Reed,
Glad to hear you have decided, at long last, to take the bull by the horns and start up again.
REMEMBER....
"It's Not The Final Destination, But The Journey that Produces The Most Enjoyment 
(and also the most headaches and sleepless nightsThumbs Up)"....
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2015 at 9:05pm
Cool car. Glad to see you have been able to make the time for it. This is something that your son will look back on fondly.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2015 at 9:33pm
Nice!  I have a fondness for the 63-64 Classics as that's what my parents had when I was a kid.  It was the first brand-new car they'd ever owned, and the first car I ever drove! Best of luck with the project!

Edited by CamJam - Apr/02/2015 at 12:44am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2015 at 7:50pm
Last week I was able to get the engine mounted to the stand and yesterday began pulling it apart. Finally got down to meat of it. I've been hoping to discover why the motor was locked up. After removing the valley pan I found 4 bent pushrods. I expected those as I could see they were out of the rocker arms.

After removing one head I found a little surprise. A broken exhaust valve. Looks like it snapped right off. Neither of the pushrods in that cyl. were bent. There was a lot of crap filling up the chamber beneath it. This was the one that gets the exhaust cross over. Not really sure why it would have broken like this. There appears to be no damage to the cyl. so it apparently did not run with the loose valve head in there. The piston shows not marking.

On the two cyls that had bent pushrods there is a very slight crescent marking the piston top, but it's very small. 

Haven't removed the second head yet but looking down in the cross over port it looks like a cave down there with boulders! It has tons of rust growing in there. I guess it was the same for the side I've already removed.

A couple of the cylinders show surface rust, one shows a pretty good patch of rust. Not sure if this will be salvageable or not. Here area few photos of the nastyness, some of this is pretty cruddy looking.

There is a silver colored look to everything and good bit of sludge. When I pulled the head bolts across the top of the head there was a silver liquid that the bolts were covered in. Not sure why or what caused it. I've seen what oil looks like with water mixed in, but I've never seen this silvery goop. Looks kinda like thin never seize compound.

If you've got any tips, suggestions or words of wisdom on any of these photos speak up. I guess if there is any consolation there does not seem to be a ridge at the top of any of these bores.

Edited by dogbone - Mar/30/2015 at 7:56pm
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2015 at 7:56am
That's going to need some work done to it!

I have a 66 287 shortblock and some used heads should the need arise.
I'd not be real interested in shipping the shortblock though.
A head or two is no problem.

I've got a bit or everything, none of it is perfect. The shortblock might be nice as that car showed 66K on the odometer and it spins over, or did last time I checked it. I'm taking the heads off of it soon. They should be the best pair I have and I figure I can get them done up and have them ready. I'm trying to figure out what valves to use. I think someone told me LS1 valves would be a good upgrade, but can't seem to find that info?

Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2015 at 8:36am
I'm going to have to get the other head off before I know how to proceed. I sorta had my heart set on a 327. This may just give me an excuse. I have shared some of these discoveries with the former owners son and he can't believe the condition. He remembers it running when it was parked.

Found this tag attached to the dipstick written by the previous owner. It gives a pretty good idea of when it last ran. Though I don't know how well it ran at that point.

dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2015 at 11:28pm
after looking more closely at the valve seat on the exhaust valve that's broken off, there's no way its going to work. Its just way too pitted with rust. Is it possible to have a new valve seat installed?
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2015 at 11:35am
Yes, new seats can be installed. That's a pretty common repair to cylinder heads.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2015 at 11:15pm
I have pulled the other head off and it's not in nearly in as bad of condition as the other side. No snapped off valves anyway. Looks like one piston on this side is probably seized. There is a good bit of rust in on other bore. So much so that it will be difficult to get the piston out. A couple of the rust pits will likely require it to be bored over at least .020. 

The cam looks good and so does the crank and rods. I decided to see if I could take some measurements and determine if boring out to 327 would be possible since it's going to bored a little anyway. I kinda hate to go to all the trouble of taking it in to a machine shop just to have them tell my it can't be done. I used a pair of machinists calipers and slipped them down one of the water jacket holes and was able to get a pretty good idea of the thickness there. Looks like a 1/4". I got the same measurement on multiple cylinders. A four inch bore would only leave about .125 of wall thickness and I don't think there's anyway that would work.Cry

I guess I'm at a standstill as far as the engine is concerned. Not really any point in disassembling it any further unless I just rebuild it with over size 287 pistons. I may look around and see if there are any 327 short blocks or engines to be had for reasonable price. I've never had much luck finding stuff like that within a reasonable distance. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic