TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 to 72 6cyl transmission auto options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 to 72 6cyl transmission auto options
    Posted: Feb/20/2020 at 6:25am
Is there a 904, or any other BW trans that will bolt up to a pre 72 AMC 199 or 232 6? Starter on the drivers side as you know. Would the bellhousing from the existing m35 bolt to an m11 or m12?
thanks
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2020 at 9:40pm
"904" is a Torqueflite, Chrysler-sourced...

The only automatic transmission that will bolt to the pre-72 six cylinder is the little air-cooled Borg Warner M3x series. It's a fine transmission, just old and any you find without known history likely to be a rebuild core.

Good question on the bellhousing interchange though. I have no idea.

Not much wrong with the M3x's though. If you are making HP it's out of my league, other than knowing you'd want the M37 with liquid cooling, and a cooler. For 232, at least for street use, the air cooled works great.

In general, the transmission choices for the pre-72 six are very, very few.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2020 at 11:19pm
Just an out-there thought that may be of no value: The Jeep parts book does say the TH400 came in Kaiser era Wagoneers with the 232 AMC. The books lists an adapter for pre 72 engines.

Assuming it is the nailhead pattern TH400, it would be hard to find all the right bits - if it did exist.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 6:07am
The cast iron body M-8 was used in 57-61 six cylinder cars, so that would be your stouter transmission. If this is in a 63-66 Classic, I don't know if the output shaft housing/torque tube converter will bolt to the M-8 or if it's the right length. The pre 63 cars used a different torque tube to transmission attachment. You could cut the front of the 63-66 tube off and weld the front of the pre 63 tube on though. The tube and shaft itself may work, you'd have to check the length. Bolt pattern to the axle didn't change over the years, but it may be different between the Model 15 and Model 20 (or not...).

The M-3x can be built up a bit. It's not going to handle more than a stock small V-8 (I'd trust it behind a stock 290 or 304 2V), but will handle a mildly hopped up 232 six. Even the air cooling shouldn't be an issue for a hopped up cruiser. AFAIK the M-37, while having provisions for a liquid cooler, still came stock air cooled with the liquid cooler an option. Liquid cooling may have been used in all the heavier cars (Ambassadors, station wagons, etc.) from the factory -- I'm not sure. I've heard of them being both liquid and air cooled from the factory from owners, not enough to establish any particular pattern. Could have just been certain dealers ordering all their cars with the liquid cooling option -- I have no idea.

Edited by farna - Feb/21/2020 at 6:11am
Frank Swygert
typhoon View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 11:39am
Thanks for the replies ,

sorry forgot to mention no longer torque tube . just wanting to use same engine (for now)but a beefier trans than the  35. The 390 AMX,Javelins used a Cast iron M12 for drag racing ,that 6 will never come close to that much torque even if I turbo'd,supercharged and give her a 250 shot of Nitrous all at once ! Since the bellhousings on these transmissions bolt on I thought someone may have tried this. Try and find an AMC trans for a  pre 72 6 cyl that used an open driveshaft (rebels,hornets,gremlins,ambassadors) in Ontario. good luck with that. I have placed want ads, only response is from US or western Canada. shipping is worth more that a post 72 6 cyl with the transmission attached! There's my answer.
Looks like an new engine/trans  for the old girl . Maybe a a toyota 2JZ turbo !oh,oh, I'll have to assemble with the "others" in the FrankenRambler  section and on and on and on and on ..........................LOL
boy i gotta find a hobby!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 2:51pm
I believe a 2 wheel drive 87-01 Jeep AW4 would be bolt on. You would need the TC from the 4.0l.
Have not done this but with some upgrades, the AW4 is a reliable mid power transmission.
Gives you overdrive if your looking for a highway cruiser.
Some info:
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2020 at 3:31pm
The AW4 would indeed be a nice upgrade! You don't have to use the computer -- I've been using a simple switch box for mine for over a decade (since 2002). If you have a console and arm rest where you can mount a rotary switch it works great -- if not it would be a PITA. You put the column (or floor) lever in "D" then use the switch to change gears, both up and down. Mine is wired as to switch the four gears with an independent rocker switch for the lock-up converter. You can leave the lock-up on, but need to let off the gas when shifting from 2 to 3 or it jerks a little. Won't lock in first, and no engine braking in 1 or 2 (unless you have the shift lever in 3... only engine brakes in top two gears), so you can down-shift at any speed. Easy to switch down to 1 or 2 when coming to a stop. I've considered wiring it as a "five speed" by eliminating the lock-up switch and wiring so it shifts 1, 2, 3, 3 with lock-up, 4 with lock-up. That would make it much simpler. I just use a couple diodes on the switch now, would need one or two more to wire in "five speed" mode. There is about a 150-200 rpm drop when locking the converter, not quite as much as another real gear would be.

As far as finding an M-8 (57-62) trans without torque-tube.... you don't need to. The rear seal and splines are the same as an open driveshaft. You just need a yoke to fit (same as the T-89 three speed/T-10 four speed on the M-8, IIRC).  So you'll have the two "ears" on the side where the TT mounted, or the square flange in the case of the 63-66 big cars... big deal!
Frank Swygert
Randiezy View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randiezy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2020 at 8:05pm
I have a 67 rambler American 3 speed transmission also the engine has 30k miles on it I’ll be selling soon
mikeceli View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeceli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2020 at 8:16pm
Lots of info, there.  
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2020 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I believe a 2 wheel drive 87-01 Jeep AW4 would be bolt on. You would need the TC from the 4.0l.
Have not done this but with some upgrades, the AW4 is a reliable mid power transmission.
Gives you overdrive if your looking for a highway cruiser.
Some info:

Umm, just how would an AW4 bolt up to a pre-72 six cylinder? To a newer one, yes.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic