TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'64 Rambler Classic Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truckedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '64 Rambler Classic Questions
    Posted: Aug/10/2008 at 6:05pm

Thanks to all that helped on my last question about possible swaps.

Now that I have surveyed the situation more I am hoping to keep the car original. Now to the next delima. Can someone guide me as to what to look for and how to ensure that my drivetrain is ready for the road?

I have the 287/auto setup and don't have a clue as to what this auto (orignal) is. I also haven't a clue to the tube maintance and danger areas to look for. As well lube/preventive on the driveline.

I know this area doesn't cover engines, but if you can give rebuild advice on the 297 that will be greatly appreciated. Total rebuild may not be needed, I plan to get some compression #'s this week.  It runs super smooth, no smoke, but I found water in the oil.

Again your knowledge and advice is priceless....................Brent
Truckedup View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truckedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2008 at 2:37pm
BTT.....................Come on guys, just a lttle help over here.Smile
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2008 at 7:41pm

The transmission uses Dexron/Mercon fluid. It will be a Borg Warner automatic. The model number will be on a tag on the transmission. If you have an owner's manual, it will cover maintenace needs.

The engine itself is pretty durable but parts are expensive (1966 was the last year for the 287). Posting the the V8 engine section will likely get you additional info.

I also recommend that you find a TSM (technical service manual) if you don't already have one.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
6705-5R AUS View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6705-5R AUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2008 at 5:18am
Water in the oil, I'ld be considering head gaskets or maybe cracks in one or both the heads. More investigation is warranted.
67 American 440 Sedan (RHD)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2008 at 9:21pm
Water in the oil of an old car could be condensation if it's been a long time since it was run. If it's not much, or the water was pretty much floating on top, I'd change the oil and get it running. That's about all you can do to see if a head gasket is bad, intake manifold crossover is leaking, or a head is cracked. That or just pull the heads and have them rebuilt anyway. Have the shop check for cracks before rebuilding. You'll have to replace all the gaskets that could be leaking when the heads are put back on anyway. It will need valve stem seals, but they can be replaced without removing heads.

There is no maintenance required for the torque tube itself. The only problem you're likely to have is vibration from a bad u-joint. That year used a double-cardan type constant velocity joint that has a centering spring/pin mechanism. The small spring gets weak, the pin then wears, and the joint won't stay centered. At that point you get driveline vibration. It can be fixed -- the shaft is tubular and the end can be cut off and a newer double-cardan joint welded on, or a single joint used. The older V-8s just used a single joint. there was a repair kit for the pin/spring, but those dried up years ago. That particular type joint was used by AMC, Lincoln, and I think Buick or Olds, but only from about 61-66.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic