TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'64 Rambler Ambassador

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '64 Rambler Ambassador
    Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 12:54pm
Hello everyone, totally new here. Two months ago I didn't know who or what was a AMC Rambler. I was born in the 80's. I had recently sold an old truck after having it for a few years and was looking for my next one. I enjoy cruising in the old stuff in the summer. 

Anyway, I stumbled across this Ambassador a couple months ago online and just picked it up this week. The more I read about the AMC brand the more I liked the "long odds under dog" story. I'm by no means a mechanic and am learning as I go about these vehicles and hoping this one doesn't have any major issues. It drives well enough and most important for me is a clean body. 

I'm in Canada so it's going away for the winter but I did manage to get some photos of it today before I put it away. Since you folks are so knowledgeable about these cars, I'd love to know what you think and can decipher from the door tag. 

This was an American car from Rhode Island, and came to Canada a couple years back. It's got AMC wheels but I see they aren't the original time period cap style. I'll have to try and track them down. 

Thanks for looking. 
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 12:56pm
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 12:59pm

Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 1:17pm
That's a nice looking car there! Wouldn't have thought Rhode Island would have been a favorable climate, they must have kept it indoors most of it's life. I agree on the wheels, they look out of place, especially on a sedan. I have late model AMC styled steel wheels on my '65 Classic and want to put something more appropriate on it. I wouldn't worry about learning anything new if you've already got general car knowledge, just the AMC trunnion suspension and torque tube drive are the main oddities to get your head around. Lots of knowledge here to gather information from.
Stormogdis View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormogdis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 1:37pm
Sweet ride
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 3:07pm
Nice looking car and in surprisingly good shape. I think the wheels are aftermarket, but maybe a Jeep wheel but the center caps are clearly AMC. Torque tube is unusual in the 60's but AMC wasn't the only mfr. to use it. Buicks also used torque tube setups into the early 60's. AMC used them up to 1966 in the full size cars.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 4:02pm
Wow, we'll optioned, power steering, power brakes, AC, electric wipers, AM-FM radio with Reverb, Tilt steering wheel, dual head rests, center arm rest.

I have never seen a 64 Ambo with a vinyl-vinyl combination for the seats and usually they came with vinyl and cloth inserts.

Does it have power windows? If so you have every available option.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
Rambleau View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambleau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 4:51pm
Hi, thanks for the compliments and info.

It does have power windows. The vinyl caught my eye when I was searching and looking for comparables.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 7:09pm
What a great findThumbs Up.  I'll agree the wheels are aftermarket with later AMC center caps.  Paint codes: 56 Aurora turquoise (light) 57 Lancelot turquoise (medium).
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/07/2017 at 9:01pm
Wow! That interior is killer nice! My 990H has solid red vinyl seats like that but yours are way nicer! How is the dash pad on your car? Any cracks?

Take care of this car!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic