TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'64 Rambler Ambassador Trans Options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '64 Rambler Ambassador Trans Options
    Posted: Dec/26/2010 at 8:42pm
I have recently started a project involving a '64 Rambler Ambassador 990.  It's optioned with the 2 barrel 327 V8 and the Flash-O-Matic trans.  I would really like to swap to some sort of manual but I'm not sure what trans would even be an option at this point.  So my question begins with are there any factory manual transmissions that have the correct bell housing/input shaft/pilot bearing, ect?
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2010 at 10:23am

What body style do you have?

The swap would be intensive.  As you mentioned you will need a lot of donor parts. Bell housing, bell crank, and transmission that is set up for the torque tube and V8 car.  If you are looking for a 4 speed that was pretty rare so if you settle on a 3 speed they are around but mostly for the 6 cyl and I have only seen 1 or 2 Classics with the V8 with a 3 speed.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2010 at 10:38am
I think the 3-speed stick for a V8 Rambler was a T-85 wasn't it?   Not as common in the AMC world as the T-96 but much stronger, from what I have read.  joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Exzion View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2010 at 11:41am
The car is what I believe is referred to as a 2 door hardtop.  Does anyone make any kind of adapter plates to adapt to a GM or Ford Tranny?
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990
1965 Rambler Marlin - Parts
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 CCLB
Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2010 at 8:21am
As some have mentioned, you have a torq tube driveline.  There  is no kit or adaptor commerically available that I have ever seen.  You will need the complete driveline from a simular car (63-66 Classic or Ambasador) as yours to convert to a manual trans.  You will of course need the stearing column unless you find a twin stick (rare) for the V-8 or use another floor shifter.  You can convert the entire driveline to an open style drivline and make you own adaptors, mounts, etc... and maybe use the Ford Ranger rear end (or other).  That way your transmission options are more open for manual.  Again, there will be some form of adaptor made due to differences in transmission spline, input shaft length, etc......... Anything CAN be done but just to convert it will likely require a doner car.  Good Luck.
Rebel 327 4-speed
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2010 at 9:10am
The 287 used a T-85 (or was it 86?) three speed, the 327 used a T-89. The T-10 four speed was available in 1966. FYI, the T-10 is a T-89 with reverse replaced by fourth gear and the reverse gear put in the output shaft housing, so the T-89 is pretty tough. The T-85/86 (86 may have been OD only, I know Ford also used the T-86 but only in OD equipped vehicles) should be fine for a cruiser even with the 327, just don't "dog" it much.

As far as I know the T-10 or three speed from a later AMC V-8 will bolt to the Gen-1 (250/287/327) bell as it's the same depth as the later models. The "problem" is the torque-tube drive. To use a later trans you'd have to replace the rear axle and use an open driveshaft. There's a sticky on that topic in this section (56-66 Rear End Swaps). Read through all the posts -- some junk, some good info like always. I've done two myself, one with ladder bars, another with a Jag IRS, and assisted with several others. Not too difficult, but does require some fabrication. How much depends on what kind of suspension arm setup is used. Lots of good ideas! A universal four link or ladder bar kit with crossmember works well, but after considering all options I like the "Hot Rods to heck" Center drive "truck arm" kit best. The one for a GM G-body can be easily modded to fit the 63-66 big Rambler body. 

Edited by farna - Dec/28/2010 at 9:24am
Frank Swygert
Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2010 at 3:52pm
Farna wrote: "As far as I know the T-10..."---wrong
The "later" T-10 may bolt to the bellhousing of the Gen1 V-8 cars but the two transmissions are quite different.  The input shaft is much longer on the Gen1 T-10's.  There is no bolting a Gen2-3 Bell to the 327 either.  You just need to get the correct year parts for your car or make everything from scratch.
Rebel 327 4-speed
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2010 at 10:32pm
As a $ hint.
There was a rebuilt Torque tube T-10 at Fall Carlisle.
The asking price was $1200. I did not see any sign of the changeover parts needed to go with it.

I have seen two cars go across the evilbay blocks in the last year or so and the very trashed cars brought about the same amount, IIRC.

You need the long input as Rebel says.
The bellhousing can be sourced from anything that ran the Gen I block, including the Jeep Trucks from 65-68 that used the 327.

You can also source a turbo 400 from a Jeep Truck with 327, get it complete, lots of one off parts.
You can then just put a manual valve body in the turbo 400 and fake it. Still need to go to open driveline.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2010 at 7:08am
Thanks for the correction Kevin. I've not swapped any Gen-1 V-8s and was not aware that the input shaft was longer -- hence the "as far as I know" in my post.

Hmmm... I'm sure the bolt pattern for the trans to bell is the same for the T-10 and T-85/86/89 (at least 63+ are). Since the T-89 and T-10 are practically the same except for the reverse gear location I wonder if a T-89 three speed input would work in a T-10? Gear ratios are probably to different for that - first gear would be the clincher. T-85/89 seems to use a 2.49 or 2.53 first, AMC T-10 used 2.23, 2.43, or 2.64. No matches... but I got the T-85/89 infor from a Hemmings article. AMC may have used other ratios, will have to check a couple TSMs.

Edited by farna - Dec/29/2010 at 7:21am
Frank Swygert
Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2010 at 6:54am
Frank--that is a very good question about changing the input shaft from the T-8x to a T10.  Someday someone will have the parts and give us an answer.  Until then--back the the mans questions--just get the proper equipment from a simular car and it will all bolt right in.
Rebel 327 4-speed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic