TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 rambler 195.6 alternator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65American Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 rambler 195.6 alternator
    Posted: Jun/10/2017 at 11:09am
Anyone do the generator to alternator conversion. My generator. Crapped out.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2017 at 6:56am
It's easy enough. You will need to get or make a bracket to the block.

https://alternatorparts.com/alternator-brackets.html

You need the A200 bracket ($39.95). It's fully adjustable and will bolt onto the generator mount. Or fab something similar. You can find them on e-bay, same price or more.

You might want to take the generator to a local auto electric shop. Most of the time the brushes and bushings are just worn out, and they are easy to replace. Might be cheaper to rebuild the generator. If you're running the old tube radio it will pull a lot of power, if you're converted to a modern radio it pulls a lot less. Unless you plan on adding a lot of electric devices the generator should be fine, unless you're doing a lot of idling. Generator needs to turn 1000 rpm or more to make power, it doesn't charge at idle.
Frank Swygert
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2017 at 7:44am
A 1965 car would have a transistor radio.
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 6:15pm
I am surprised a 64 has a generator. My Classic had an alternator. Yes, easy to repair a generator with bushings, brushes and a commutator clean up. I remember they used to have something called a growler to check continuity through all the windings, or was that just for starters? Could be the regulator too that failed.

I got 'lost' and discovered a licensed 63 Classic parked on the street. No answer at the door so snuck a peek under the hood. 196 aluminum block with 10si alternator already converted and hanging high on the RH side.

On the iron block OHV a CS130 as found on an 89 Pontiac fits well with the bracket change. 

REBEL_BOB View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REBEL_BOB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2017 at 8:35pm
my 65 american wagon has a 1 wire delco and it works great. its a 196 flathead
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2017 at 6:27am
AMC used generators on base model Americans and Classics with the 196 through 65, IIRC. If you got AC it came with an alternator.
Frank Swygert
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2017 at 7:38am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

AMC used generators on base model Americans and Classics with the 196 through 65, IIRC. If you got AC it came with an alternator.

All had alternators in '65, with the industry-leading electronic voltage regulator!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2017 at 10:50am
Canadian models had Prestolite (or Autolite?) alternators with 4 post regulators in 64 I believe, for both Americans and Classics. I don't know about the V-8's. The regulators are virtually unobtainable. A few years ago I think I might have found one in a NAPA master catalogue but they wanted almost $200 for it.

It is so easy today to go with a newer alternator. They charge so much better at idle than the early Delco versions, although I have read that the Motorola's weren't bad that way. At night with lights on it is really noticeable with a new style alternator. Just like a new car.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic