TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 Classic Engine swap Queation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregory64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 4:06pm
Thank you so much for the information. I bought a perfectly good running and complete 232 with automatic transmission pulled from a 65 classic cross country. The very kind gentleman also gave me the rear ended, torque tube, front end parts, seats and crossmember. So the crossmember should allow me to bolt this engine up without issue. I'm assuming the transmissions are the same though I haven't pulled the old one yet.
My only concern at this point s the throttle linkage. I'll dive into it and figure it out! Thanks again!
Gregory64 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregory64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 4:09pm
Thank you for taking the time to share info! I did get the crossmember from the donar car (65 cross country). Will dive into this in another week or so and will post my progress
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 6:28pm
You can use the 196 starter to avoid interference issues with the linkage. I drilled another hole for the long pivot rod to slide into, to line up with the carb. The throttle plate turned the opposite direction so I removed and brazed the bell cranks onto the rod in opposite locations. To avoid all that fiddling around, going with a cable operated throttle might save you time. You could also then use the 232 starter. 

As for the cross member you could probably use it by adding a plate and drilling the holes where they want to be. Other wise use 2 X 3 tubing for spacers and drill and bolt where required. I think most people do it this way. The 65 cross member will definitely not work without modification.

On the upside the 232 looks a lot more at home in there than the too short 196 with the piece of tin extending back to hide the radiator so far back. If you can get the 65 rad it will save you reversing the side braces.

Gregory64 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregory64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 7:32pm
Thanks, Vinny. I thought having the cross member was as a slam dunk. I will get some tubing. I do have the 65 radiator but after a quick comparison it seemed to be exactly like my current radiator. I will double check.
I appreciate this advice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic