TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 Classic Engine swap Queation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregory64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 Classic Engine swap Queation
    Posted: Jan/29/2018 at 6:26pm
Hello, I recently purchased a Classic Rambler 660 Cross country with a 196 and auto transmission The 196 has been sitting for many years and I’m sure it will need an overhaul.   But I found a perfectly good running 232 with auto transmission pulled from a 65 770 wagon. I’m hoping I can slide this in with little problems. What can I expect for this engine swap, please? I also acquired the tourque tube and rearend from the 65 232. Basically the complete drive setup including the motor mounts form the 65. Will Joanne an easy swap? Thanks for all the knowledge!!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2018 at 9:21pm
that's a relatively common and easy swap. you need a front crossmember from a suitable donor (eg. 64-ish classic with a 232; the motor mount system is different but i think some folk here have modified the one you have). i did this swap in a 63 classic; 70 232, 65 auto trans and torque tube drive.

the radiator needs its brackets flipped around, also, it then hits the valance sheet metal below. some electrical items, throttle linkage needs messing with, etc. but it's a reasonably straightforward bolt-in (no firewall clearancing or other nonsense).

one caveat, i always run no power steering no power brakes no A/C cars, if those things interfere or have problems i wouldn't know about them. others here will however.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 6:38am
If you don't have/can't get a 232 crossmember form a 63-66 Classic, 65-66 Marlin, or 63-64 Ambassador (65-66 Ambo has extended wheelbase with mount perches in different location), it's not hard to use the CM you have. I used the 196 CM when putting my 4.0L in, with 258 engine side mounts (same as 232). I just used 2"x3" sections of 11 gauges (about 1/8" thick) rectangular tubing. Drill and bolt to motor mounts, lower engine in place. When engine is positioned right mark the holes in the 196 CM up from the bottom, then drill and tap for a fine thread 3/8" bolt. You can't get in the tubing for a nut, but fine threads will hold fine in 1/8" thick material. You might need to make a 1/8" or 1/4" spacer. If you do weld to the tubing and tap through it as well. I don't recall a spacer on mine, but might have a washer or two under them... not welded on. You want at least 1/4" between oil pan and CM. I put lock-tite and a lock washer on the 3/8" bolts. No issues, and has been in this car since 2003. Motor was pulled an rebuilt around 2010, put back in the same way.
Frank Swygert
Felginator View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Felginator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2018 at 9:31am
Frank - do you happen to know if the Ambassador cross member just has the mounts shifted forward on the same cross member as the other large cars? I have a full drive train I planned on swapping into my Ambassador but the cross member I have is from a 65 Marlin. I haven't pulled the drive train from my Ambassador so I can't easily compare.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2018 at 6:20am
The crossmember of the 65-66 Ambassador has the motor mount perches shifted to the rear by four inches... AFAIK. The motor side plates may be different and have some of that shift in them, but the perches are definitely shifted to the rear. The torque tube is the same for 65-66 Ambo/Classic/Marlin -- engine HAS to be shifted back.

Since you are swapping INTO an Ambassador, you need to use the Ambo crossmember. Or does the Ambo have a 232? 65 was the first year for a six in the Ambo.
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2018 at 7:13am
The only correct cross member as far as I know would be from a 64 Typhoon that originally came with a 232. If someone made a pair of mounts that could be welded to a 63 or 64 cross member they would be saleable items.
Felginator View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Felginator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2018 at 9:01am
The Ambassador has a 232. I am putting in a 65' 327 with a T-10 from a 66.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2018 at 12:52pm
I don't know about the V-8. I just know that a 66 Ambassador 232 cross member doesn't work for putting a 232 in a 64. I cut the perches off the 66 cross member and was going to someday modify them for the 64.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2018 at 4:59pm
How about one from a 1965-66 classic?   And doesn't a Javelin CM fit a 63-66 Car? If it does, a Javelin 6 cylinder CM ought to fit?
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2018 at 5:32pm
65 and 66 cars are about 2" longer in the front than 63 and 64 so no-go because the mounts don't line up. You might as well build your own. Anyone got a spare one from a 64 Typhoon to show?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic