TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 Classic backup lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 Classic backup lights
    Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 5:25am
I thought it was going to be easy. After taking out the bumper fillers I installed a couple of the lenses and light socket assemblies. With external power source they work.

Found two brown wire stubs coming out of the harness in the trunk and hooked them up. Found the double stub out of the harness at the backup light switch on the steering column and hooked them up. 

Tried it out and blow 9A signal light fuses. Found dead short in brown wire at harness in the interior and in the trunk.

Can anyone confirm that the browns in the trunk and the brown + brown with tracer(power) close to the column switch are for backup lights? 

I am thinking that during paint work with sill plates out and back in that maybe a screw pierced the harness.
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 7:21am
I also have a 64 Classic & noticed those wires in the trunk. I got a set of back up lights out of a 63 Classic in a yard. I was hopeing it was going to be easy to install. Didn't think about any wires around the column. I never installed them because I broke 1 of the lenses when I was cleaning them. Dropping it didn't break it, it was the stepping on it that did of in. Plus i need to get some new seals for them & my blinkers, which look like they could easily be converted into backup lights just by changeing the lenses from yellow to clear. Thanks for posting this to let myself & others know how almost easy it should be
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 8:01am
Per the '64 Classic/Ambo TSM the brown and brown w/tracer do go the the neutral safety/backup light switch. There should be two brown wires going to the driver side b/u light. One comes from the main harness and the other goes over to the passenger side b/u light. The 9a. fuse I guess you're blowing is the STOP/TURN SIGNAL and protects the flasher, stop lights, back-up lights and turn signal indicator.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 8:04am
Originally posted by 2beersmaybe3 2beersmaybe3 wrote:

I also have a 64 Classic & noticed those wires in the trunk. I got a set of back up lights out of a 63 Classic in a yard. I was hopeing it was going to be easy to install. Didn't think about any wires around the column. I never installed them because I broke 1 of the lenses when I was cleaning them. Dropping it didn't break it, it was the stepping on it that did of in. Plus i need to get some new seals for them & my blinkers, which look like they could easily be converted into backup lights just by changeing the lenses from yellow to clear. Thanks for posting this to let myself & others know how almost easy it should be

The back up lights only use a single wire hookup and a single element bulb. If you use a signal light assy you'll have to isolate the low voltage side of the dual element bulb which would have been used for the parking/tail lights.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1965 American 440-H
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 8:43am
I am using the two element sockets with the 1157 bulbs but just plugging into the male side of the connector which lights the brighter element of the bulb. On the left the wire is long enough to plug right into the harness. On the right I will need to add about half a foot of wire. I am assuming that the wires have to come up into the trunk through the grommets, one on each side. The socket assemblies have a top and bottom so the wires looking from the bumper come out to the right.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 2:37pm
At the upper portion of door post the harness enters into the uni-body cavity, follows the rocker section and comes out at the back seat. Somewhere in there lies my short. I bi-passed it with a wire down the door post under the sliding air vent, under the door sill and connected back into the harness behind the back seat. Also found some white sugary stuff under the sill so corrosion proofed that as well. Good news is lights now work when applying power at the front.

Bad news is the housing broke when pushing the new connector on the neutral safety and back up light switch. I highly recommend anyone attempting this to first clean the switch housing and lay on some epoxy. That old bakelite or plastic was only about 1/32" thick and quite brittle. The neutral safety portion of it is a lot more robust so I can use it that way and wire in a temporary separate switch for the back up lights. Now begins the hunt for another switch.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 5:17pm
The white powdery stuff is probably corrosion from the sill plates. I found the same thing on my '64 Classic 660 the first time I had to pull a plate off. Look at the back of the sill plate(s), clean them and maybe seal them with clear enamel, or rustoleum. Good job on getting the lights to work. Too bad about the switch. I have no idea how hard or easy it will be to find a replacement.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1965 American 440-H
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 6:20pm
The GM style Standard NS21 that sells for less than $20 could be made to work with modification, like drilling and tapping new holes, paring down the switch lever and figuring out what goes where when hooking up the wires with terminals to the spades on the switch.   

APD offered the AMC P/N as 320-3293 and I won't say what they want for a used one.  
Will try the Mustang shop tomorrow because I know my column has Ford compatible parts.
Members in our club are looking. Apparently 63 to 65 or 66 are the same. In the mean time she sits in the barn patiently waiting but still live and ready to start in any gear.
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 10:45pm
I know where a 63 auto 660 is if the safety neutral thingy is the same. Just let me know & I'll go get it. No back up lights tho. That's where I got mine from.
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2014 at 8:05am
Thanks so much, I'll PM you after the weekend in case I can't find one here. I looked online and there is no similarity with the Mustang switch.

The lights certainly look much nicer than the grey plastic plug that came out of one side and the shiny but corroded filler from the other side.

I have been wondering where that short came from. The chrome or nickle plated rocker cover is probably the culprit as there are two screws besides the clips holding it on, one at the front and one at the back.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic