TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 american wagon hard start after warm up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sowhasumo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 american wagon hard start after warm up
    Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 10:18pm
Recently purchased a 1964 rambler American 330 wagon,32000 original miles, runs great after being parked for 10 minutes it is so hard to start, I suspect vapor lock,I was considering installing a Rochester 2g on the Lhead engine, someone recommended an electric fuel pump for the problem. anone have any Ideas??
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 1:45am
It could be all manner of things other than vapor lock. Weak battery, cables needing replacing, starter going bad, etc. Does your car have a two-barrel head now. How would you put a Rochester 2GC on it. In my own opinion you do not need an electric fuel pump.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 6:48am
I understand you have the flathead.

The flathead has the fuel line between the fuel pump and carburetor running very close to the exhaust manifold, if that has been bent out of position, or even in it's stock placement, it's prone to vapor lock in that section of fuel line.

Move that fuel line away from the exhaust manifold, and insulate it.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
sowhasumo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sowhasumo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 12:01pm
I have a 1barrell to 2 barrell adapter
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 12:38pm
Personally after some almost 60 years of fixing and driving my own cars and the last 15 of them living where 1/3 of the year it is over 100 degrees I can pretty much say I have had one verified case of vapor lock and that was when I was using a cheap cut rate source of alcohol diluted gasoline.  And that was on a port injected 3.8 Liter Oldsmobile.
So I would be pretty sure vapor lock is about the last problem you would have.
Doesn't that engine have a carburetor that bolts into a plate that is part of the cylinder head?  I suspect that possibly there is some perculation going on with the carburetor sitting where ever it sits if that is the case.  I'd check to see if the carburetor is properly mounted and that the fuel pump is actually any good.  And also see if the rubber hose that connects the gas tank to the fuel line is not full of cracks and such and sucking air through it.
But then again.
I dunno, it just seems to me that if I don't see vapor lock problems at 110 degrees in Phoenix, I would not expect to see many of them in PA.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2014 at 5:04pm
This is a L head, flathead.

The carb bolts direct to the cast iron head.

The carb, fuel pump, and exhaust are all on the right side of the engine. The fuel line between the pump and carb. goes just a inch or so to the right of the exhaust manifold. Not a good combination even when it was new.

I had a 59 American flathead many, many years ago, and it suffered from vapor lock until I bent that fuel further away from the exhaust AND insulated it.

Try that simple fix first before you go to drastic measures.

Edited by tyrodtom - Aug/26/2014 at 5:08pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 10:14am
Simply using a rubber fuel line in place of the metal line will most often cure a vapor lock problem. The rubber doesn't heat up and boil fuel.

I never had vapor lock when in Idaho, but drove the car I had at the time to Ohio one year and it suddenly started vapor locking. This was in the early 90s, before alcohol in fuel. Still, fuel blends differ across the country, and altitude and humidity also have an affect. I got frustrated the second time I stopped for fuel and had to push the car out of the way and wait 25-30 minutes to drive off. Saw a hardware store across the street, went over for a mini tubing cutter, rubber fuel line, and a couple clamps. Was driving off in a few and never had the problem again! I drove that car six years before having that vapor lock problem in OH... very annoying!
Frank Swygert
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2014 at 10:37am
It's been a long time ago, but all I remember doing is pushing that fuel line a little further away from the exhaust, then slitting a rubber fuel line, and installing it over the metal line.
Probably replacing the metal line with a rubber one would have worked even better.

This was in 1966, and in a hot North Carolina summer.
sowhasumo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sowhasumo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/09/2014 at 11:26am
OK so I'll give it to you in a nut shell, this weekend installed an electric fuel pump and the Rochester 2g carb on my little wagon, boy did it wake up that L6 engine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic