TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 american pinion preload

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 american pinion preload
    Posted: Apr/09/2018 at 6:00pm
the pinion on my 64 american has a little in-out play...is there any way to set the preload  or tighten it up?...
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 6:06am
You probably can, but unless it's really bad I wouldn't. If it's less than 1/16" just leave it alone. The gears are worn into each other and shouldn't cause a problem. The adjustment is made with shims and requires removing the pinion seal. You can't get a new pinion seal for the "big nut" American rear axle any more, so you don't want to remove it unless you absolutely have to!
Frank Swygert
auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 10:24am
thanks frank..thats what i needed to know....rambler sure did some odd things back then,,,lol
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 12:14pm
None of these seals is correct Frank?:
If you know the size OD/ID/W, I have an old cross reference book and can try to find one.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2018 at 5:19pm
Nope. Take a look under the car. The seal is stepped to go over the pinion nut. The nut sticks out just a bit from he front of the axle housing, the seal "steps" over the nut and down in size for the pinion shaft. Those seals are for torque tube cars. They had a cone shaped stamped sheet metal holder for the seal inside the tube on the axle end. Only the American had the open drive. The weird seal and the "big nut" tapered thread yoke were made to adapt the torque tube axle pinion and front of the axle housing to the open drive. Obviously the front of the axle housing casting was changed for the American, but the pinion shaft/gear is the same as torque tube axles.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 11:36pm
i can attest that none of the seals alleged to fit, according to many suppliers, will fit. all are the WRONG PART. wrong dimensions.  the correct part is not available, flat out. maybe Blasers, old NOS, but it will cost you plenty (i paid EIGHTY  DOLLARS UNITED STATES for an oil pump pressure relief spring, 7/16" x 2" or so -- but it was NOS and good). and old rubber, even "new" unused, is rarely worth the bother.

if the axle isn't making any horrible noises, keep it filled with fluid and drive it. the 'big nut' business is a huge PITA, but its a very reliable, overbuilt subassembly.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

auag85201 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote auag85201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2018 at 11:46pm
tom....sounds like good advise...i'll drive her till she dies ..its not making bad noises yet...
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Nope. Take a look under the car. The seal is stepped to go over the pinion nut. The nut sticks out just a bit from he front of the axle housing, the seal "steps" over the nut and down in size for the pinion shaft. Those seals are for torque tube cars. They had a cone shaped stamped sheet metal holder for the seal inside the tube on the axle end. Only the American had the open drive. The weird seal and the "big nut" tapered thread yoke were made to adapt the torque tube axle pinion and front of the axle housing to the open drive. Obviously the front of the axle housing casting was changed for the American, but the pinion shaft/gear is the same as torque tube axles.

Do you have a photo of the seal?  I'm having trouble visualizing what you mean by "steps" over the nut.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2018 at 2:13pm

Photo courtesy Tom Jennings (http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Big-nut/).
You can see where the seal fits into the rear axle housing, then reduces in diameter and extends out ("steps over"). The nut that holds the pinion shaft in the housing is under that "step".

On the driveshaft rear yoke nut there is a dust shield that covers the seal and protects it. The nut travels on tapered threads that clamp the yoke, which has two slots in it, to the pinion shaft. The dust shield is just crimped on and easily lost. I've had it come loose and "ring" under the car until I cut the darn thing off rather than take the driveshaft out. That was after I tried epoxying in place.. which lasted a couple days. Often the dust shield is missing for this reason.

It would be possible to use a later seal in an adapter. The adapter would need to fit in the housing and extend out, then have a flat front and hole for a new seal -- maybe a real short piece of tubing. Would have to be near perfectly centered, and the dust cover would have to be removed. I'm sure you could find a seal for the pinion shaft diameter -- the torque tube six cylinder seal should work. A torque-tube stamped steel seal adapter might be a good start -- it would hold the seal but I'm not sure the cone is steep enough to fit in the end of the axle the right length. I'd still get a piece of tubing that would fit in the axle then epoxy/weld the cone to it.
Frank Swygert
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 8:59am
Now if I had this animal, I'd be thinking a stepped  aluminum extension with o-ring seal into the housing, regular seal on the end and an exhaust donut clamp at the differential housing holding the extension in place.
Easy for me to say as I have the lathe and would do the work myself.
Just first impressions, but now see why the seal is no longer available.

If you google images of "extension oil seal" there are ones for Datsun, Vauxal, Austin's... that are still available. there may be something out there close. I cannot see AMC making a one year custom seal, likely off the shelf from somewhere else. I'm thinking the 59 Austin, but you need dimensions.

Edited by Lyle - Apr/15/2018 at 9:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic