TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 american instrument panel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 american instrument panel
    Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 7:01am
I cannot find the thread that addresses this issue. None of my gauges work. The gen light works and the speedometer/odometer, jumpy but works. Wipers don't work either but not overly concerned about that yet because I'm a fair weather local driver. I've added a temp/oil pressure aftermarket under dash. Sometime back I read that there is some sort of (?) behind the panel that goes bad.   thanks
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 7:23am
You're talking about the Instrument Voltage Regulator (IVR).  Do you have a TSM for your vehicle?  The testing procedures are in the ELECTRICAL section.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 7:40am
Your bouncy speedo needle is most likely the cable needs a proper cleaning and lubing. It's not related to the gauges working or not working.
Wipers are a separate issue too, of course. If you have vacuum wipers, it's probably the rubber tubing, or the dual-action fuel pump or the wiper 'motor' itself.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
tamvette68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2018 at 8:42am
that's it....the IVR. couldn't remember that.   thanks. I guess I have to pull the inst. panel out to get to it. I'm going to clean and lube the speedo cable. Can it be pulled completely out and is it done from underneath the vehicle or behind the inst. panel? its the vacuum motor on the wipers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic