TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 American 440 H project ( pics )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2008 at 10:51am
Ok I thought the 232 was the original engine out of the red car. If you get parts like water pumps and simple engine parts like that, tell the parts guy it's for a '75 Jeep CJ-5. It makes getting parts so much easier. The CJ-5 uses the short water pump.

Edited by ramblinfsj - Dec/10/2008 at 10:52am
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2008 at 10:57am
cool man, thanks. so far it hasn't been to bad. but i'll keep the 75 jeep in mind.
Brandon
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2008 at 2:15pm
232 was not available in the American until '65.Wink
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2008 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by raysinvegas raysinvegas wrote:

232 was not available in the American until '65.Wink

Huh, your right Andy. I was thinking of 65's because that's what I have.
1982 Jeep J-20
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2008 at 1:10pm
Hey guys just an update,not much progress with being back at work and all. ( 12-14 hr shifts)  7 days on 7 days off. but I'm not complaining at least I've got a Job.
 I've been cleaning and painting parts in the morning when I get home and gathering new parts and bolts as needed,looking forword to starting my days off Tuesday may just get that motor back in the car.
 going to clean and paint the engine bay too.  
Brandon
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2008 at 8:52pm
 O.K. first day off and checking new parts

well time to deal with the broken exhaust manifold bolt , just drill a hole down the center of the bolt than easy out it out right.. not quite  4 hours later it's going to be a helicoil. The first hole  ( pilot hole ) went great second hole the bit broke off in the broken bolt

well like they say if it was so easy every one would do it , found the remains of another helicoil down in there what a day maybe I'll get some parts on tomorrow

Edited by 440H - Jan/04/2009 at 10:48am
Brandon
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2008 at 9:35am
That new fuel pump looks cool but I like I'd have to take it back and get one for a CJ-5. It's the same one you pulled off. Well, the new pump looks vintage so I might see if it will work. That new exhaust manifold looks great. That sucks having that bolt broke off in the head though. It maybe easier just to drill the hole completely out, retap it, and use a bigger bolt .
1982 Jeep J-20
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2008 at 9:09am
 Well I took the old  (new) fuel pump back and got another one this one is good just alittle more compact.   my block # is 306E12   this broke down as 3 = 1970   06 = June  E = 232ci
 and 12 = 12th day of June so then I got a list of everything a 232 was in  in 1970 and the fuel pump he had on the shelf was for a Javilin

once that was solved the rest of the day went pretty good, helicoil in, exhaust and intake installed, fuel pump , dizzy in , plugs and wires, all went well

the rest of my week off I'll be working on garage clean up and rearange things, also told a couple of members I'd check on some parts off the Red parts car for them. then of course the engine bay and motor mount issue.. wish me luck I sure would like to get that motor back in the bay and off the floor this week.  Its cold here, and hard to paint, open up the door turn on the fan for vent and the 65 + heat in the garage is lost to about 40 or lower in no time. gota love the winter time..
Brandon
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2008 at 10:19am
Wow Brandon, that motor looks sharp! Nice work. I'm glad to see you got that broken bolt out. I hear you about the winter time, it's keeping me out of the shop (unheated shop). The engine with that long transmission will be fun to get in the engine bay. It's a tight squeeze believe me, I've done it. As soon as I painted my engine, I slipped it in the car and let the transmission sit on the crossmember ( make sure the trans. crossmember is out of the way when you stab the engine and tranny. It will be in the way if it's still on the car) and put wood blocks between the motor mounts and the engine crossmember.  Once it's in there, you'll see what you need to do with the motor mounts. I had to put the engine as far back as possible for the fan to clear the radiator. I was going to ask earlier so I'll ask now, how did you take the driveshaft off? Did you undo the big nut or did you just disassemble the u-joint under the car? I like how quickly you're getting things done. Stay at it and you'll be driving it in no time.
1982 Jeep J-20
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2008 at 12:04pm
Hey Ramblinfsj, Thanks man I'll keep after it to be sure. lets see, the crossmember is out, and the drive shaft is just hanging there. when we pulled the motor the drive shaft just slips out of the tranny. On the old red parts car we took the big nut off and removed it. made things easier when we pulled the rearend out.
  Can't hardy wait to get her moving under her own power. It'll be a while but worth it in the end.  after the engine bay is done and the motor is back in, it's going to be brake work time.
it has none,zip,nada. not even an E-brake, so that has to be done before the first test drive.
Brandon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
  Share Topic