TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 american 196 vert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 4:51pm

work in progress. Wanting to detail engine compartment but don't have the equipment to remove the engine to do it right. Sooo, lots of tape.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 5:19pm
You can do it right with the engine in -- just remove everything else! By that I mean everything that easily comes out, including the radiator. Drain, disconnect the hoses, take four bolts out, and it pull right out. Shouldn't take more than an hour to pull it. Take out distributor (mark where it is first so you can put right back in and drive!), but I'd leave the exhaust manifold on because it can be hard to get things sealed again.
Frank Swygert
Ramblin low View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblin low Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 5:24am
I have a 1964 Classic // 196 ...I can snap some pictures of the engine compartment if you like ???
tamvette68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Ramblin low Ramblin low wrote:

I have a 1964 Classic // 196 ...I can snap some pictures of the engine compartment if you like ???

yes please
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2018 at 1:17am
lovely car, great color.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2018 at 2:53am
thanks tomj...been working on it for almost a year. Haven't driven it much yet. I have to work on the vacuum wiper motor and/or the switch.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2018 at 1:00am
"everyone hates' vacuum wipers... they work fine if you get all the components in working order, which is admittedly somewhat tedious-seeming. it's just old-world tech. once in good working order, i like them better than electrics because (1) they're smooth and silent (2) infintely variable (3) if i wanted new car features i'd get a new car!

it's sort of all-or-nothing, i think is the deal. pump rebuilds are weird (fussy diaphragms you can't get from AutoZone), leather flap valves in the motor.

'64, 65, are on the cusp of modern, half old world half new. and yours looks like a wonderful example. alien and comfortable both. not even $100K new cars have fresh optimistic color and style now, all cars look like they want to be angry. so boring. not that American.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2018 at 9:06am
It's usually the motor. If the slide on top works as it should and the cable is adjusted/working... well, that's about all you can do. Send it in to Peter Stathes (www.amcrambler.com) for a rebuild. The seals dry out and crack and the little valves inside stick. Not much you can do to it yourself. You may have some luck taking the "bowl" off and cleaning/regreasing the seal, but that usually doesn't last long (and assumes it's working but just "weak"). I've sprayed WD-40 in the vacuum line connection and got a vac motor to work a little better, but again it's a band-aid that won't last long. Rebuilding the motor isn't terribly expensive, and if the vac booster on the fuel pump is good and the engine not pretty much worn out, the vac wipers will work wonderfully. Less trouble than an electric conversion, and parts cost is about the same.
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2018 at 5:30pm
thanks all....I finished detailing the engine compartment as best I could with the correct colors. My engine was orange and the firewall and inner fenders were black. Now I have to tackle the wipers. My switch turns 360. When I connect vacuum to upper port the wipers slowly move upwards then stop. I guess I have to pull the switch first to see whats going on with that. Is it supposed to be a single position or double position switch? Are the wipers single or double speed??
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2018 at 7:04pm
The wipers are variable speed,  the more the switch is opened, the faster the wipers go.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic