TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 american 196 vert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 american 196 vert
    Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 8:50am
I'm confused. TSM is no help. I needed to pull my radiator for service in pulling heater hoses, etc., I don't understand the routing of the heater hoses. I have a hose that jumps from the front of the water heated intake manifold to the back of it. Top heater hose on firewall connected to heater control valve stem. Water pump hose is routed to the lower heater inlet/outlet? hose on the firewall. So is my heater bypassed??? I don't need one here is south Louisiana anyway but I would like to know.
vintage60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vintage60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 9:11am
If I understand correctly, it seems to be your manifold heater is bypassed. Hose front to back on it means no path for coolant. The other circuit is block to heater valve to heater - heater back to block ( water pump ). You should feel heat from your heater with the valve running and fan on.
vintage60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vintage60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2018 at 9:13am
If you want heat for your manifold put it in series with one heater outlet and the water pump. So heat to one end and water pump to the other.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 9:00am
You can just take the hose off the intake -- there is no need to loop a hose there if you don't connect the intake heat. Won't hurt to leave the two ports open -- they connect a tube inside the intake. You could take the intake plate off and use short carriage bolts and washers to seal the openings after removing the tube, just make sure they are sealed good -- use sealant on the washers.

The purpose of the heat tube is to atomize gas faster and improve economy in cold weather. The return heater hose (goes to water pump now) should go from heater to rear tube, front tube loops down to water pump... IIRC. It works well, and doesn't rob any power, though cool air is a bit more dense. In a low performance engine it won't make a noticeable difference.
Frank Swygert
tamvette68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 10:01am
ok farna....my hoses were never connected the way you explained. I have to keep it simple, I'm old. I do not want to use my heater, so I do not need antifreeze flowing to it....right? So the hose coming from the water pump goes where? The stem with the heater cable/control valve had a hose connected to it from the firewall (heater). Does that get bypassed?   it's still confusing to me.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2018 at 10:17am
Remove the heater control valve and connect the hose from the water pump to the stub pipe on the back of the block where the valve was.  Coolant will still circulate thru the engine and the heater will be history.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2018 at 5:30am
That's it.... You don't have to remove the valve though. You can just close the valve and block off the water pump hole somehow. You could remove the short pipe between the valve and head and the nipple from the water pump and install plugs. Don't have to have water circulating there, but on the 196 I think I would loop a hose from the valve to the water pump and either remove the valve or keep it open. The head gets extra hot on that engine and that extra bit of water flow would certainly help. 
Frank Swygert
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 6:18am
OK, the last two reply's make sense to me now. I'm going to reroute hoses today and take a picture and post it to make sure I did it right.   thanks
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 6:57am
One other thing.  It's hard to see with the fender brace in the way but it appears the vacuum line for the wipers is going to the center port on the wiper motor.  If so, this is wrong.  The vacuum hose should connect to the port near where the cable is attached.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamvette68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2018 at 4:45pm
the wipers never worked since I bought the car 8 months ago. That was going to be the last issue I was going to address since I never did use the car much at all and used it only in complete sunshine close to home. The vacuum hose is connected from the wiper motor to the bottom of the fuel pump.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic