TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'64 287 intake swap with 327 intake.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 7:17am
On my 64 the hard line for the vacuum modulator goes to a 90 degree fitting which is shown in the picture of the 2bbl manifold. That fitting has been replaced as it does not look like the one on my original manifold. The fitting is a 90 degree that accepts to a double flared pipe. The later models do not need that fitting because the TV cable is used to control transmission pressure.

I would not use the fitting on the carb because it is above the butterfly and will not give the transmission the correct vacuum signal.

Edited by Lucas660 - Jun/18/2017 at 7:22am
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 8:41am
As for three two barrels on any '56-'67 Rambler V8...

Yes all (two) stock intake manifolds interchange (and all (four) cylinder heads interchange)

-avoid all '66/7 heads: these have air injection 'blobs' cast into the roof of all exhaust ports which greatly restricts exhaust flow

(from '56-'67 it's basically all the same engine, with few revisions, but the 287 version replaced the 250 CID version after Automobile Manufacturer Association's '57 ban on factory supported racing was ended in '62)

When my dream of building a tricked out Rambler V8 engine started, I always thought a 'six pack' intake set up would be cool because it would go along with the 327 name by saying:

'Three Twos on a Three Twenty Seven'

..and that idea included a seven section exhaust system using the six outlets plus a seventh exhaust crossover tube, to complete the saying: three two barrels with seven exhaust pipes

Moreover, this idea plays upon the mystical aspects of the 'magic' 327 engine size.

(Before International Thesaurus was revised '327' meant 'hard', after '65 (?) '327' meaning was changed to 'soft')

Mysical? huh?

Yes, AM's 327 RV8 'numbers' were/are unusual for an engine because when we multiply the bore and stroke x 8 we get close to 327 without using 'pie' in the equation (3.14) -hence, AMC's original design carries mystical 'magic' in it's numerical design.

(Packard made a 327 inline eight but it's bore and stroke numbers contained no magic/hidden formula to circumnavigate using pie to calculate displacement)

BUT... that's kinda where the whimsical 'six pack on a 327' idea ends and writing a book on 'realistical' intake manifold design begins.

*TO THEIR CREDIT: There is one example of a custom made six pack intake on an AM RV8 but the owner of that vehicle is not active on the Internet (the picture of the 3-2 bbl. intake is located on Marlin Auto Club's website?) 

Edited by amcenthusiast - Dec/27/2018 at 11:14pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 10:01am
Different type of fitting than used by the factory, but a pipe fitting is what is used. The fitting you have is called a "street elbow" and has a longer radius than a standard elbow, which would have a tight 90 degree bend. It appears that places like Home Depot only carry the street elbow or a standard elbow with pipe threads on one end and compression fitting on the other. You need one with a male and female end to be correct. Check Ace or True Value hardware stores, or a mom-n-pop operation if there are any left in your area. Oh, auto parts stores may have it also...

If you are using the little 450 cfm or so stock 327 4V on the 287 it should do well. Amcenthusiast has said all that needs to be said about carb sizing and intakes. If you need clarification or have more questions post or PM!

Do note that 2V and 4V carbs are rated differently and are not directly comparable though. To convert a two-barrel rating into a four-barrel rating, divide the two-barrel rating by 1.414. To convert the four-barrel rating to a two-barrel rating, multiply the four-barrel rating by 1.414. So a 450 cfm 4V ~ 636 cfm 2V. So yeah, a 500 cfm 2V would flow real good for a 287. The difference is the size of the venturis though.  The smaller 4V venturis will keep charge velocity up and keep fuel mixed better (also aids in the function of the carb through beter vacuum signals), which means better economy and low speed performance. Then it will open up the other two when you need the extra power... and they are still small enough that velocity (at least through the carb) is higher, which again keeps fuel mixed better.

For economy and low end performance it's always best to have smallish carb venturis. That is why most economy engines have small carbs. At some point the small carb becomes and obstruction, but as long as that's above the intended use of the engine it doesn't matter. That's also why 2V and later 4V carbs were invented -- small enough venturis to keep charge velocity up but bigger capacity when needed.

Ideally a two stage 2V might be "best" for your 287, but I don't think a large enough one is made. Weber makes a 32/36 progressive, but that's only 320 cfm. They don't make a progressive linkage 38/38 (390 cfm), but it's a great carb too. Can still get new for under $300 (http://www.carburetion.com/weber/weberpartscarb.asp). Webers are VERY adjustable, but you have to go through the steps to get it right! Not as easy as other carbs, but well worth it once you take a day (and a tuning kit - $60-65) and get it right for your engine. Both the 32/36 and 38/38 are very popular with the Jeep crowd. A 350 cfm Holley, or even a 500 cfm, would also be good choices, along with the Motorcraft 2100/2150 as used on AMC 304 engines (and of course many Fords) that amcenthusiast suggested.

Multi carb setups can be hard to get right. 3x2V looks great under the hood, but get trash in one carb and you can burn a piston due to leaning out one end of the engine. Have to have the right carbs too. Only the center has an idle circuit, that is blocked on the end carbs. Would be hard to get it to idle right (lean enough) with all three idle circuits. 2xcarbs have idle circuits in both or there would be mixture issues.
Frank Swygert
Graphic Spill View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graphic Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 12:41pm
So what I need is a good solution to hook up my transmission vacuum line. The new manifold does not have a port for the connection.

Option 1. Take it to a machine shop and have them drill and tap the manifold.

Option 2. Instead of modifying the manifold, I could connect to the carburetor spacer tube as I illustrate in the picture below. This should work because it still receives vacuum being below the butterfly (Right?).
Does anyone see problems with doing it this way?

Graphic Designer / Weekend Classic Car Hobby.
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr hardtop
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 6:10am
Either one should work equally well. Personally, I think I'd drill and tap the intake. It has the flat that was intended to be drilled for a factory vac modulator trans (65-66 used a TV cable in the big cars, 63-66 small cars with six used a TV cable trans). Easy to put a pipe plug in later. It's cast iron and will drill easy. You can always get the right size bit for a 1/8" NPT tap and drill/tap yourself, but a machine shop probably won't charge any more than what the bit and tap would cost you anyway.
Frank Swygert
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 6:17am
The factory spacer is preferred. Use it.
IMO.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2017 at 6:03pm
Interesting discussion on plenum sizes, albeit for injection
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?6,59502

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
Rebel327 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 9:06pm
Remember the spacer isolates the carb from hot intake, so no...either will not work the same. Enjoy.
Graphic Spill View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graphic Spill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 10:47am
Thanks everyone for all the advice, I decided to do it right by drilling the hole in the factory location and tapping it. (I just needed a little confidence boost to do it on my own)

Graphic Designer / Weekend Classic Car Hobby.
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr hardtop
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 11:42am
Beautiful and done factory correct
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic