TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

63 Rambler hubcaps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 63 Rambler hubcaps
    Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 3:13am
I noticed only 2 of the hubcaps that came with my car match, I had them off while my rims were getting painted and that's when I noticed they were different. I found a couple sets of hubcaps on eBay that are for a 64 and 65 Rambler and I'm wondering if they would fit on my 63. Can post pics of my rims or hubcaps if needed and link to the ones I want if needed. 

Edited by Mostru - Aug/31/2017 at 3:16am
Jason
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 6:47am
Full size hub caps or the "dog dish" type? Full size will fit, but you need either 14" or 15" to match your wheels. Most Classic and Ambassador models (as well as 63 American) used 15" wheels. 64+ Americans, at least with six, used 14" wheels. As a side note, 15" won't fit the small body 58-63 Americans due to steering design.  The dog dish type might fit -- I think they will, but could be a change in the diameter or how they snap onto the wheel. 
Frank Swygert
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 9:29am
Post pictures of your hubcaps and someone here on the forum can help you make a matching set. Many of us have miscellaneous hubcaps just waiting for the right home. Jie
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Needhelp View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Needhelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 9:40am
AMC started using 14" wheels on the Classic and Ambassadors in 63. 64 and 65 full size caps will fit fine. There should be some 63 hubcaps on Ebay.
Butch Lyons-Hastings,Nebraska
1963 Ambassador 880 4dr
1965 Classic Convertible, 327
Devilboy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devilboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 9:52am
My 1965 came with a similar issue. 3 matches and one oddball hubcap. If my oddball is a match for what you need, I would be willing to let it go to. Post a photo of the ones you have.
Jeremy
AMCRC #10059
AMO #10906
1965 American 330
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 9:57am
Actually AMC started with the 14 inch wheels on the Ambassador in 1962 while the Classic retained its 15 inch wheels for that year. The company was trying to make the Ambo look lower that year and more exclusive in addition to being the only V8 car that year. Joe
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 3:36pm
Here are the hubcaps I currently have. The top two are the same, the bottom two are both different. They are in OK condition, have some dents. I was just going to get a complete set similar to the top two or the one on the bottom left that I found on eBay. 

Edited by Mostru - Aug/31/2017 at 3:43pm
Jason
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 3:41pm
My rims are 14". The sets I was looking at are both 14". My Rambler is a Classic 660, not American. I imagine I'd have no trouble going with ones from another year then?
Jason
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2017 at 4:21pm
The top two appear to be correct for the 1963 Classic at least those produced in Kenosha.  Canadian cars were very likely slightly different and the Canadian parts were shown along with the U.S. versions in the parts books and I believe in the accessories books, but I am not sure about that.

The 63 caps should be fairly easy to find.  If you are not particular, you are correct that any 14-in wheel covers would fit.  Unfortunately, in spite of my earlier statement above, I do not have any extra examples matching the top two.  Joe
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2017 at 1:23am
Thank you for that information. I'm not restoring my Rambler to original so wheel covers from another year will work. I appreciate your help very much.
Jason
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic