TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

63 Rambler front drums? FOUND ONE!! :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2016 at 2:05pm
When applications get back to 60's Ramblers, there's no sure bet. There was no heavy duty brake option on '58-9 or '61-3 Americans.
They are not the same as a '64 Classic. I still believe that the correct rear drum interchanges with the front drum when you swap the hub in.
Good luck!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Rambler Rookie View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2016 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

When applications get back to 60's Ramblers, there's no sure bet. There was no heavy duty brake option on '58-9 or '61-3 Americans.
They are not the same as a '64 Classic. I still believe that the correct rear drum interchanges with the front drum when you swap the hub in.
Good luck!

The hub hole in the rear is 2", the hub hole in the front is 2 7/16". I tried to put the hub in a rear one already.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2016 at 5:44pm
FWIW I went to pick up my Purolator L30005 filter today and I asked about the front drums. 64 Classic 2502 and 63 American 2501.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2016 at 6:48pm
The new drum I have is a ac delco 18b512 which crosses to the 2501. Here's pics of it, then a few side by side of old ones, measurements etc.

carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2016 at 9:27pm
If everything but the center hole is right, check '82 Spirit 9" rear drums or use a lathe to open the new one IF it works otherwise.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2016 at 10:15pm
Found one and ordered it earlier today from Brent at Nashparts.com It was the one I found yesterday. His book showed it to be a Nash part#3154540 for the RF and #3154539 for the left. He said the only difference was that one had LH threads and the other RH but the studs could be swapped out. He had a LH in stock and it's on it's way. The book he was looking at showed it to be the same thru 63. I tried to look up those part #'s so I could possibly find another one but don't come up with anything. Mystery solved??    
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2016 at 10:33pm
Good luck! Wow, that was a lot of work for a good drum! Glad you didn't give up. I think AMC used the left hand threads until about 1960 (Chrysler was still using them in '69), so be sure and mark that wheel or hubcap (inside) that you have a left hand thread, so you remember when you have to remove a wheel next time! It's just so counter-intuitive to loosen a lug nut by turning it clockwise! 
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2016 at 10:47pm

Good luck! Wow, that was a lot of work for a good drum! Glad you didn't give up. I think AMC used the left hand threads until about 1960 (Chrysler was still using them in '69), so be sure and mark that wheel or hubcap (inside) that you have a left hand thread, so you remember when you have to remove a wheel next time! It's just so counter-intuitive to loosen a lug nut by turning it clockwise! 

Yes it was a lot of work! That's why this guy always brings his cars to me because I wont quit! I'm going to swap in his old studs so no one ever makes a mistake and breaks them.

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2016 at 1:19am

My first car was a '60 Dodge Dart and I didn't know about the left hand threads until I snapped three of them off trying to get them "loose" My '56 Olds also had left hand threads.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2016 at 12:46pm
If anyone else has the same hub with the big hole, I'd lay odds it's from a different year or bigger AMC vehicle and swapped on.

ND 440-1074 at NAPA but if you can find AMC 3153620 or old stock NAPA 640-1074 or maybe a complete10" front drum setup from someone converting to disc. I have a migraine coming on from stress again but I also recall buying new drums for a trailer supply place in Aldergrove, BC years ago for my Rambler (in '99?) when I did the lower balljoint swap that didn't fall apart when you hit Seattle's potholes.

AIMCO 1018172

Edited by carnuck - Apr/06/2016 at 1:42pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic