TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

63 Rambler Classic Valencia Ivory Paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 63 Rambler Classic Valencia Ivory Paint
    Posted: Jul/02/2017 at 7:33pm
Hello all,

My motor is currently being rebuilt so I figure now is the best time to get the engine bay looking good. I have a few questions, the first being whether anyone is able to point me in the direction of where I can buy paint to best match the Valenica Ivory (P49 Valencia Ivory). On the steering rod there is a faint green mark and the tie rod has a yellow mark, are these inspection markings? Also what does "10 & 20" refer to? I've had it since April but I am new to AMC's and I am not looking to go all original inside the engine bay, I will keep it mostly Valencia Ivory other than the cross member remaining black and some other small things.

pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2017 at 8:08pm
The paint dabs are inspection marks.  The steering arm is marked for 10 (Classic series) and the old 20 series (the old Rambler Rebel) series.  I got a new gallon of Valencia Ivory mixed at my Dupont (no Xalta) paint dealer last year.  I have not painted by 63 Classic wagon yet though.  Dupont still has the paint codes.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2017 at 1:16am
I was under the impression that Dupont does not deal with paint anymore. is it a specialized dealer that I can get the paint mixed at or would any paint store get an exact (or almost exact) match? Are these the right color codes, 4420, 4420L, 93-96561? 

EDIT: Just found a local place that specializes in refinishing auto paint, they mention Axalta as well as BASF on their site. Would this be the next best thing?

Jason

Edited by Mostru - Jul/03/2017 at 1:23am
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2017 at 4:46pm
After my brother-in-law finished painting my 64 car I thought he had a bit of a sheepish look on his face about the color. I never did ask him about it. Anyway I touched the paint in one spot with a torch and found a GM can to match. It looks just like the color above. I'll retrieve the can and post the color. Someone else told me that back then different companies shared paint colors and just put different names on it.
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2017 at 7:40pm
That would be great, thank you! If I'm unable to get paint mixed that will be my next best bet. I've also heard the same actually.

Jason
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2017 at 7:55pm
Get the correct paint.  Someone can mix it.  Go to www.autocolorlibrary.com and look in the Classic paints selection for the proper paint chip chart.  I think the PPG version of the paint codes are listed but Dupont codes might also be listed.  If you can't find a local vendor for Dupont or PPG paints you can order it from TCP Global (either generic or PPG, which is the parent copy that operates the autocolorlibrary site) or you can go to www.apstowerpaint.com and order it from them.  At least I think you can get quarts or gallons from the latter vendor, but I have only order correct cans in a spray can in the past.   They are part of the Finishmaster brand now, which is a nationwide distributor of PPG brand paints.

Yes there are similar colors for many of the paints used by AMC but I don't think they would use a color code (formula) used by another manufacturer with the exception of black. In my opinion it is a pride thing.  Design teams just don't want to do that.  Similar colors, yes. But not exact paint formulas. To see many similar colors by paint name, go to www.paintref.com.   GM did use color codes across it's product lines (brands) as did Chrysler.  These manufacturers normally gave the same color a new name between brands.   AMC did it with Jeep, but, except for black I think don't think it happened much if at all between different manufacturers.  Joe

Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2017 at 10:30pm
I'm going to see if a local dealer is able to mix the paint on Wednesday and if not, I'll likely order from www.apstowerpaint.com. Would a 2K spray can be my best choice? I want it in a spray as well.

Jason
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2017 at 11:14pm
Tower Paint recently changed their policy and now you must buy at least two cans of spray paint at a time.  They won't mix just one spray can.   The cost will be over $30 a can.  It is worth it if you just need to spray something like under the hood and don't want to get involved with spray guns and such.  Be sure to get the enamel and not the lacquer.  AMC used lacquers on the interior but enamels on the exterior.

Joe
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 2:57pm
My Iphone recently went through the wash and after washing it out with methyl hydrate and drying it for a few days it works. Trouble is I can't get the wifi to turn on to send the picture I took this morning.

What it would show is that Duplicolor CBGM0138 Dover/Arctic white is indistinguishable from the surrounding paint. As to whether or not the car was painted correctly to the Rambler color I do not know. It is a little creamier than my white TDI Golf.  
Mostru View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 4:03am
A bit late with this reply but I got it all sorted out. I appreciate all the help. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic