TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'63 rambler classic bags

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockabillyrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '63 rambler classic bags
    Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 8:00am
is there ANYONE who knows of an airbag kit made specifically for ramblers? what is the best kit to use if not?
66 ambassador 990 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66 ambassador 990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 9:02am

id have to say no, im in the middle of lowering my 66 ambassador, i think the suspentions are the same, torque tube with coils in the rear and trunion with coils in the front. i had to piece everything together. there are a couple of good threads on here with some good pictures to give you an idea of what you will have to do.

right now im into it for around $600, 4 bags (slam specialties ss-6), a 7.5 gal air tank, some fittings, some brackets/plates, air lines and new rear shocks. i dont have the bags hooked up to the tank just yet, i fill them up manualy. i need to pick an acuair valve some new front shocks and convert my ac pump into a air compessor to fill the tank.

still have to tweak some things but i am happy with it so far.
chris
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 11:20am
There are no kits specific to the Ramblers. You can get a generic kit and make your own bag mounts though. There's a good thread on bagging a Rambler right here:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/1964-rambler-990h_topic26498_page1.html

There is another here:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-bag-the-rambler-383783/

And this website might help a bit:
http://www.rgkustoms.com/rambler/index.html

All 56-66 "big" Ramblers (all but the American those years) use coil springs and torque-tubes. They are relatively easy to air bag.

Frank Swygert
calais66 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calais66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 5:06pm
Anyone know where I can find springs to lower my 66 ambassador 99?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2012 at 6:24pm
There are no ready made springs, but you can order the height you want from www.coilspings.com.  Air bags are easy for the back, and they don't cost any more than custom springs. What costs a lot is the compressor and controller -- but you don't have to have them! If you want to lower and keep it at a certain height, install the bags then just run a hose with air valve to an inconspicuous place. Air up to the level you want and check the pressure, then check the pressure every month or two to maintain, just like your tires. A compressor and controls can be added later, or you can just leave it alone.

For the front you need to search the forum for "lowering plates". You can lower about 1" by changing the springs in the front, but any more an you start affecting front end geometry (this is true with any car except a straight axle).
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic