TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

63 Classic steering assy help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diiirty63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 63 Classic steering assy help
    Posted: Jul/02/2014 at 12:49pm
I am trying to assemble the column but it's driving me nuts. Anybody have a diagram or photos on what should be in there or the assy order? I believe I have something missing. Thank you.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2014 at 8:56pm
Find the factory parts diagram here: http://worldpowersystems.com/AMC/Parts-Catalog-1960-1965/index.html

Hmmm.... he may not have the right group on-line yet.
Frank Swygert
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2014 at 2:13am
Does your Classic have an automatic tranny or manual? Does it have power steering or manual. Suggestion: you shouldn't be doing anything this complex WITHOUT a factory TSM in front of you. Your safety and the safety of others on the road ride with that column.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2014 at 7:10am
The TSM I have for 64 only shows a break down and rebuild of the Adjust-O-Tilt column. 

Because yours is a classic you probably have manual steering and a one piece shaft directly to the steering box. I changed mine from a manual to an automatic column many years ago but after recently having to change out a turn signal cancel cam I don't know how I did it. Things look complicated in there. I will say that a plastic horn ring retainer that I also had to change recently came from The Mustang Shop so Ford may have had something to do with that column. Was your car built in Brampton Ont, if so same as mine.

I have considered doing work on mine to change the steering shaft to a collapsible type. I do have a steering box from a 66 that has a rag joint end but so far have not confirmed if it fits the car or not. Just writing this in case you are interested at all in doing something similar.

diiirty63 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diiirty63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2014 at 10:08am
It's an automatic. Unfortunately I bought the car disassembled. I may have to start a members project thread. Thank you all for the help, any info is great so keep it coming even if it's just opinions.

Edited by diiirty63 - Jul/04/2014 at 10:17am
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2014 at 8:26am
So, where are you at with it? Is the steering box still attached with the shaft coming up through the hole? Then I would think that the outer column goes on with bearings, spring etc. At the bottom of the outer tube I remember seeing a plastic spacer or bearing.

It is the sort of thing one rarely sees apart. Hopefully someone more recently familiar with it will ad some advice.

I maybe should have salvaged the column out of the one in the junkyard a couple of years ago but I seem to remember the colour being different. BTW, it looks like the newer box with rag joint coupling will bolt right in, in case you find a newer column and box.
diiirty63 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diiirty63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2014 at 3:42pm
Steering box was never touched thankfully and the shaft is in place. The interior section with the shifter and such is where i'm having a hard time. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic