TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

63 American - 196 Starter wiring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 7:51am
I have the technical manual, but it only shows the wiring for the whole car, nothing specific. I don't know if I have the right starter, it's what was in the car when I got it. It's a Delco-Remy, but other than that I don't know much about it. I'll post a picture later today.
al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 5:26pm
Here are the pictures, one with a closeup of the solenoid and one with the whole starter.

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 6:33pm
Somebody has had both the starter and solenoid apart,  and put them both back together wrong. 

The endplate on the starter needs to be turned 180 degrees,  so that lug terminal is on the top of the starter.

I can't advise on the solenoid without seeing the wiring behind that cap.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 7:47pm
I can't believe it took me that long to realize that the solenoid is on the wrong side of the starter. I never even considered that it was put on backwards!  After looking at some pictures I just figured out that the terminal just bolts onto the tab. Well, thanks for pointing it out for me.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 8:28pm
Without more views of the starter I can't say exactly what's wrong,  just that it's wrong.
al1630 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al1630 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 9:49pm
I found this picture of a working starter, so I'm pretty sure the issue is that the Solenoid is on the wrong side of the motor case.
Alex
1963 Rambler American 440H
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 10:16pm
The solenoid is where it has to be on the starter drive,  or I assume it is,  can't tell with no pictures of that part of the starter.
  The motor case bolts 2 bolts need to be removed and the motor case rotated 180 degrees.

Edited by tyrodtom - Nov/27/2018 at 10:19pm
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2018 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by al1630 al1630 wrote:

I found this picture of a working starter, so I'm pretty sure the issue is that the Solenoid is on the wrong side of the motor case.
  Yes, that is probably the problem.  You should find a hole for the "tab" on the other side of the starter circumference (180 degrees from where it is now).  

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2018 at 10:53pm
the solenoid you have seems to be missing some hardware.

the stud that the starter motor tab connects to, should have a thin 3/8"-16 brass or copper nut. that stud sticking out (which appears to have the hex-headed screw in it at least) is actually the contact inside the solenoid; without the nut it'll wiggle around and likely Bad Things will happen (like starter never turn off).

the photo Joe posted has the nut in place. 

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Johnny View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2018 at 5:17pm
My 63 Rambler American Tech Manual has a wiring diagram that says the large green wire goes from the large top "B" terminal on the solinod to the battery "+" side. Two additional smaller wires, both red also go to the same large terminal. One terminats at the horn relay and the other at the fuse relay. A brown wire goes from the lower "S" terminal to a junction box where it comes out green and terminates at the "sol" terminal on the ignition switch.

My car's actual wiring has the large battery wire at the 'B" terminal and only one red wire. The lower terminal has the brown wire. The varience may be because of the additional circuts for the "twin stick" option on my car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic