TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

63 287 intake and carb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC 550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 63 287 intake and carb
    Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 8:44am
Hi, I have a 287 and I heard that you can swap a 327 four bbl carb and intake on a 287 but there's so many part numbers that I'm a little confused. Or maybe you can't swap the stuff from a 327. Thanks
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 10:17am
Yes you can no problem, direct bolt in. The 2 barrel had a slightly lower compression piston.
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
Needhelp View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Needhelp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 10:45am
had. a 63 Classic with 287 and swapped out 2 barrel for four barrel back in 66, added dual exhaust and performance was better.
Butch Lyons-Hastings,Nebraska
1963 Ambassador 880 4dr
1965 Classic Convertible, 327
AMC 550 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC 550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 11:28am
Thanks you wouldnt happen to know if I need a certain intake and carb or if they all work
AMC 550 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC 550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 12:13pm
I got another question I'm checking the timing does anybody know what it needs to be set at
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 1:19pm
No aftermarket manifolds are available. Only Rambler AMC manufactured. There are fabrication options if you are so inclined.

Holly was the OEM, I fitted the Eldebrock. I am not a fan of Holly carbs
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 1:29pm
I took the 4 bbl intake carb and all off an Ambassador 327 of the same year and slapped it onto my 64 287 and ran it fine with no issues.
Did it gain me anything? Can't say - my butt-dyno wasn't operating very well back then.

Maybe someone can point you to a photo here but there's a Marlin with a neat intake setup - the fellow did some aluminum fabrication and put a performance intake on the early V8 - not sure now what it was but it looked NICE!!
MarlinSteve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarlinSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 3:32pm

Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 6:19pm
They all work. I have a 57 Hudson manifold on my '64 Classic. If the engine is stock try 5 degrees before top dead centre and go from there. Disconnect vacuum advance when setting. I run around 10 degrees on mine but the engine is modified and am running on non ethanol high octane fuel in Australia.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 6:24pm
THANK YOU MarlinSteve - that's the one. Saw it in person and it's even more impressive that way.
the whole engine bay really is great, proves the old Ramblers can be really nicely done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic