TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

625 street demon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 2:05pm
I just noticed that there is a composite bowl available, my opinion is that fuel boil will be an issue with the all alum version. I have always like the original afbs and avs carbs as well as the thermoquad, having worked on them for many, many yrs. The later carters and subsequent edelcraps I did not like so much, some would work good some just not and neve as good as the originals.

That carb may be a good alternative for stock replacement as long as the internals are good, unlike the edelbrocks.
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

You won't find many people around who will have anything good to say about the Street Demon, not because it's a bad carburetor, but because thy are all stuck in their old ways for what works for them and this is a new carburetor they've never tried.

"Like a frightened baby chipmunk, you are afraid of anything that is different!" -Jean Girard

Bolt it on and try it for yourself. Here' a secret: 90% of what you read online is biased opinion, meaning take it with a grain of salt.
-------------------------------------------------------

I love the Street Demon. I've never run one, but I've studied them as much as I reasonably could and love the design. If I was the aftermarket carburetor kind of guy, it would be one of two carbs on my list next to the Summit Racing VS.

But I'm not an aftermarket carburetor guy.
Get an Autolite 4300. It converted me to an aftermarket carburetor guy.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 4:15pm
The street deamon appears to be a new manufacture Thermoquad.
I loved the TQ's I got from the Dodge guys that were throwing them away.
Trouble is they leaked, and so I also discarded them...

If the Deamon does not share that nasty plastic fuel bowl then it
should be a keeper.

With the exception of the 750 AFB I never saw a Carter that did not work good.

Excepting corroded or damaged junk of course.
Gremlin Dreams
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 6:10pm
This was a 750 Carter Competition series carb on this pass. 11.3s dead steady. Later he went to a 850 DP and ran 10.80s...

oleblue69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oleblue69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 10:14pm
to FS JUNKIE
cool   thanks for your input...........
JS
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Have one already. Much like any seventies carburetor, they work great as long as they are in good shape and you don't try to modify them.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 11:23am
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Have one already. Much like any seventies carburetor, they work great as long as they are in good shape and you don't try to modify them.
I bought my 70 AMX new. The car always had a lean surge, the choke and fast idle never worked properly. I sent the carburetor to one of the best carb shops in the country in the 1980's. I can't remember, but I think it was The Carb Shop for a rebuild. I put it back on the car, no change. I took it off, used something else.

Later, about 8-10 years ago I read about how great Pony Carbs was with Autolites, so I box it up, and send it off to them, and choose the show plating. When they receive the carb, they call and tell me it is one of the best, totally complete 4300's that they have seen. They work their magic on it, and send it back to me with a bill for about $500 I think.

I put it back on the car. Long story short, it looks beautiful in its new home, which is the box they shipped it back in. I currently have a Summit 600 cfm carb, which starts better, runs better, and is very easy to modify with Holley parts, if one chooses that route.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 11:29am
I have a 4300 on an iron manifold in my cellar.
It looks cool. It will remain there unless someone wants the manifold.
The manifold is a 1975 401 EGR manifold. I can't bring myself to junk it....
But I will happily give it to anyone that wants it (FREE!!!)

Gremlin Dreams
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 11:30am
Back in the early 80s when I dragged my car home from the wrecking yard and dumped in a 401 727 from a matador it had the original 4300 and it ran perfect. Like modern fi, no hesitations at all, started perfect but it did have fuel boiling issues(lots to do with fuel we had back then at high altitude) but having worked on many, many of these I say they are finicky and hard to get "perfect". This is really evident after someone else has performed their magic LOL on them.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 11:59am
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

Back in the early 80s when I dragged my car home from the wrecking yard and dumped in a 401 727 from a matador it had the original 4300 and it ran perfect. Like modern fi, no hesitations at all, started perfect but it did have fuel boiling issues(lots to do with fuel we had back then at high altitude) but having worked on many, many of these I say they are finicky and hard to get "perfect". This is really evident after someone else has performed their magic LOL on them.
The only thing that I noticed markedly different in my carb after Pony "fixed" it was that the float level was set so that the car ran out of fuel at the top of the rev range (a little under 5,000 rpm). I raised it , and fixed that.

My Summit carburetor works like your Autolite did, except no fuel boiling. I also recently bought a new 650 Holley double pumper, and have timed the car with both it and the Summit, and there is no clear difference, accelerating from 2,500-5,000 rpm in second or third gear.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic