TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

62 Rambler Ambassador Shifting Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerpower100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 62 Rambler Ambassador Shifting Problem
    Posted: Jul/12/2016 at 4:00pm
I have a 62 Rambler Ambassador V-8 with Borg Warner Transmission. This has the push button shifter and we can't get it to go into neutral. Any ideas? Thanks!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 6:39am
Do the other gear selections work? There is an adjustment for the cable. I don't have a TSM handy though. You need to get a TSM (Technical Service Manual -- the factory service manual) for your car -- has all those little things! You can find them on e-bay for $30-60, depending on seller and condition.
Frank Swygert
Soccerpower100 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerpower100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 10:50am
We are currently trying to pull the car to where we can work on it and the problem is we can't get it out of park so the wheel locks up making it impossible to tow. The little panel works perfectly but nothing happens when you push any of the buttons. Ok I'll look into a TSM.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 6:40pm
Park is not part of the shifter. There should be a lever under the dash that says something about parking, pull or push to park, something like that. That isn't a parking brake, it has a cable to the trans that locks the parking pawl just like putting a modern trans in PARK. That cable could be froze up. If it is you would have to pull the trans pan and disengage the parking pawl. It's easy enough to find with the pan off.  There are two cables running into the trans on the driver's side, one the shifter the other the park cable.

There is no neutral safety switch. You turn the key switch on then push the neutral button to start the car, the key doesn't engage the starter. No NSS needed!

If you plan on keeping the car for a while the TSM will pay for itself many times over. We don't mind helping here, but can only do so much. The pics and such in the TSM sometimes need clarification, as it assumes you're a mechanic with some working knowledge of AMC cars, but it's a gold mine of info and will pay for itself many times over.
Frank Swygert
Soccerpower100 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soccerpower100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2016 at 11:48pm
Thank you so much I really appreciate your input. I'm working on this car with my dad as my first restoration project and plan to drive this car when the time comes.
norwegianrambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norwegianrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2016 at 3:21pm
Also the push button have to be IN neutral in order to push/pull the parkleveler.
Farna said its right under the dashboard itself, right down from the buttons.
If there is no reaction on the leveler, get under the car, loosen the the little bolt on the outer cable, take the cable off,  and the park should be off.
It should be really loose and is springloaded. The inner cable is for the gears. 

Adjusting is easy to, turn the cable end so you see the whole hole on the leveler as its sits and put the bolt back in ( the treads inside the cable end should face towards drivers side.)

If you need pictures just ask. 
I just repaired a friends 60 and are now working on a 61 for myself so Im in the middle of all this. 
And as all say a TMS is good to have. 
Good luck with the car :)

Edited by norwegianrambler - Jul/15/2016 at 3:37pm
1961 Rambler Classic Crosscountry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic