TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

62 American 196 ohv throttle linkage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vintage60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 62 American 196 ohv throttle linkage
    Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 9:59pm
I'm looking for a few pictures of how the throttle linkage is setup from the gas pedal to the carb on a 62/63 American. I'm trying to put a setup back together on a car that was apart when I bought it. I'm pretty sure I have it figured out but it feels sloppy and not sure if I'm missing any parts and about the location of the throttle return spring.

If you don't want to post them here please PM me and I'll give you an email or text number.

Thanks in advance!
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2018 at 10:30pm
It is pretty sloppy!
Assuming you have the factory 1 barrel Holley, I can't show you mine (car is resting in a barn this winter) but I could eyeball yours if you send me a picture.

paul.mittermaier@gmail.com
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
vintage60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vintage60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 9:42am
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

It is pretty sloppy!
Assuming you have the factory 1 barrel Holley, I can't show you mine (car is resting in a barn this winter) but I could eyeball yours if you send me a picture.

paul.mittermaier@gmail.com

Pics sent to your email. Thanks for the help!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2018 at 10:33pm
sloppy? mine was nicely sharp without any slop at all. there's a bellcrank system that turns pedal-press into shaft-turn, maybe yours was worn out? 

at the URL above you can see the '63 American linkage that i had to modify to make it reach the taller carb on it's adapter. it operates exactly the same as factory, only i added an inch of height and made a new carb/rod adapter.

scroll down a bit to "throttle linkage".

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

vintage60 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vintage60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 12:20am
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

sloppy? mine was nicely sharp without any slop at all. there's a bellcrank system that turns pedal-press into shaft-turn, maybe yours was worn out? 

http://sr-ix.com/AMC/195.6ohv.com/Induction/index. - http://sr-ix.com/AMC/195.6ohv.com/Induction/index.html

at the URL above you can see the '63 American linkage that i had to modify to make it reach the taller carb on it's adapter. it operates exactly the same as factory, only i added an inch of height and made a new carb/rod adapter.

scroll down a bit to "throttle linkage".

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. Looks like I have set mine up correctly, but one thing in your write-up confused me as my stock bell crank is on the same side as your custom one. So rotation would appear to be the same as my stock holley 1908 carb. From your write-up "I welded on a tab for the bellcrank linkage, on the opposite side to accomodate the reverse rotation" The bell crank gets pushed up by the pedal linkage and the shaft rotates counter clockwise looking at the carb.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 11:33am
He may have the carb that the throttle opens in the opposite direction. I'll get you a good pic of a stock set-up!
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 9:34pm
yes, i moved the lever on the rod to the other side, so "up" motion still turned the shaft, but the opposite direction. that requires welding, so however yours goes, will work right.

it never occurred to be to check... do all of the various carbs available for the 195.6 OHV and L-head all have carbs that rotate the same way? I assume they do but never asked!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 9:43pm
Tom,
The Carter WCD which was a 'PowerPak' option on '63 Americans (and earlier Classics) opens the throttle the opposite direction. Not sure why, but when someone tries to upgrade to that, you've got to have the linkage to go with it.

Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic