TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

61 American rear axle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catfishmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 61 American rear axle
    Posted: Jul/05/2015 at 8:18pm
O.K. once again I could use some help . I have a 61 American convert. I checked the rear axle gear ratio . It comes out to a 4.10 .And yes I looked it up it could have been ordered with that gear . so we don't need to talk about that .However , my question is .Would it be easier to replace the gears .And if so who has those. Or replace the rear axle. I think I read an early Ranger would work . I'm sure I would never find a rear with a 3.54 or there about gear. I'm just wanting to slow down the RPM's at 55 mph . Any one have any Idea's .Thanks Kent
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2015 at 8:27am
I ran 3.31 gears in my 63 American with auto and OHV six. I'm pretty sure the converts all came with the OHV. I tried a 3.78 gear and it did nothing for me but run more rpm when cruising.

It's easier to replace the entire rear axle. 3.31 was pretty common in the small Americans, 2.87 was stock in 63 with the auto, 3.31 was the "performance" gear that year. Best to use another American axle (58-63 will bolt right in, 64 might, I don't recall width).

An early Ranger (83-92) axle is about the same width, I think it's 1" wider (1/2" more on each side), but should work with the stock wheels.  The early Ranger 7.5" is 56.5" from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface, and I seem to recall the early American is 55.5" (might be 56").  A Maverick 8" is 56.5" wide also.

To use the Ford axle you might have to relocate the spring perches. You WILL have to have a custom driveshaft made using the front of the Rambler and rear of the Ford, so get the shaft when you get the axle. Any driveline shop can make you a custom shaft, usually runs $200-$300 or so if you have the ends (depends on location in the country). 

The good thing is there's not a lot of demand for the Ford 7.5" or 8" axle. Both are about the same strength. They do have single piece hub/axle, so tat makes them a bit stronger than the AMC 15 (7-9/16" ring gear).  Other than that they are about equal. Don't worry about the pinion being offset to one side, the angle matches at the trans and won't cause a vibration. I'd shoot for a 3.08 or a 3.45 Ranger axle. The ratio is on the axle tag. See http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml. The 6-7/8" (sometimes called a 7") Ranger axle would be fine in your car as well, and may weight a little less than the 7.5".  It was mostly used in four cylinder models... and I think I'd look for that one.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic