TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'60 Ramber Six...bearing sizes front and back?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '60 Ramber Six...bearing sizes front and back?
    Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 7:22am
Hello All:

I'm getting Frosty the Rambler ready for his big trip in May, and I'm assembling an emergency kit of spare parts for the trip. I'd like one set of bearings front and back, but I'm completely confused by the listings at RockAuto (my first choice) with regards to the specs of the bearings needed. The TSM doesn't list any specs at all about the bearings themselves, just everything about the brakes (in the "brakes and wheels-hubs and drums" section). Am I simply looking at the bore size for inner and outer on the front (w/o disc brakes, which of course no Ramber in 1960 had discs)?

Second, am I reading the TSM correctly that the only way to check the U joints is the move the rear axle backwards so the torque tube can come off the transmission end, then everything becomes accessible? I'd like to check the U joints, but boy that's a lot of trouble since they don't seem to have anything wrong with them currently.

Thanks,
CN
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 11:51am
Here's my $.02 for what it's worth. Wheel bearings are not really a consumable item like spark plugs or ignition points. Yes, they can go bad. However, if you remove, clean and inspect them for obvious damage and then properly pack and replace them, they should last for a long time. When you are cleaning them you can note and record the bearing numbers. That at least is easy for the front wheel bearings on a Rambler. Granted, replacing the seals and inspecting the bearings is more difficult on a car with splined hubs like a Rambler. But if you do have occasion to disassemble the rear axle, write down the bearing numbers when you have it open. Have a good trip next month. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
cdickman1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdickman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 12:22pm
The front bearings are in stock at most chain auto parts tores. I just bought the fronts for mine over the counter at Napa. 1961 Classic 6 so should be the same thing.

I would just inspect and repack the fronts if there is no play in them personally. The driver front was bad and since I was going to get greasy I replaced both sides at the same time.

Have fun on your road trip!
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 8:02pm
Okay- thanks for the input. The nice thing about bearings is that 95% of the time they'll give you a lot of warning before something happens. By all means I'll pull both sets and repack 'em.

I'm taking this trip back to Colorado to relive some family history- everyone remembers the red '60 we had back in the day, and I haven't told anyone back home what I'm driving out there. Speaking of bearings, one of my older brothers remembers a trip to Ohio (from Colorado) in the mid 1960s; my dad said it was in the '61 Ambassador, my brother thinks it was the red '60. Anyway a rear axle bearing went bad in the middle of the trip, and my brother held his hands over his ears, it was so noisy. They made it to Elyria (Ohio), and dad pulled the axle out in my grandfather's driveway and replaced the bearing right there; needless to say they made it back to Colorado without incident.

CN
fritznbud View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritznbud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2014 at 6:13pm
That's a fine lookin' Rambler. My '60 Custom looks to be a twin to yours. I did my rear axle bearings quite a few months back. A big job IMO was pressing the hub off. Both front and rears can be had at any parts store, in stock. I guess my avatar pic wont post...control panel shows it but nothing here.

Edited by fritznbud - Apr/26/2014 at 6:20pm
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 8:18am
Thanks for the compliment on the car; it isn't quite as nice as the picture makes it look but it still turns heads around here.

I pulled the fronts and they were repacked recently by the previous owner, so no problems there. The rears don't make any noise, and with the car having what appears to be an original 37k miles it's pretty unlikely the rears would be going bad. BTW I measured and the outer fronts are 3/4" bore and the inners appear to be about 1 1/8".

CN
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 10:32am
CN, When you had it apart you should have taken down the bearing numbers on the outer edge of the bearings. You can give that number to any (good) parts store and they can get the same bearings. Having the ID of the bearing is ok but not having the OD is not much help in getting new ones.
Same with the seals there should be a mumber on the outer edge.

Years ago when the stores had books you could just give year/make/model and they could look the parts up. Today the computers dont go back that far and may not even list AMC.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic