TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'60 Ramb. rear axle leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 6:09pm
Rambler/AMC rear wheel bearings are intended to be packed, there is an inner seal.
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 11:39am
Okay, so this morning the garage down the street took the backing plate off the axle tube while leaving the hub on the axle, and nothing happened- the axle was being held firmly in place by something else, so it's off to another garage who have a lot of older tools for this sort of thing.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 12:54pm
The outer race of the bearing is a snug fit in the housing. Put the brake drum on backwards with 3 lugs on backwards , use the drum as a slide hammer .
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 2:37pm
Make sense...one thing about this job, though, I'm confused about where that inner seal actually is, looking at the TSM it appears to be at the end of the axle tube right at the differential housing, is that correct? 
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2014 at 6:23pm
It's 1 or 2 in.  in from the axle Brg.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2014 at 10:46pm
there is an inner and an outer seal. the inner seal is relatively deep in the housing. the outer seal is on the shim plate between backing plate and axle tube flange. it most definitely needs to be packed! if it's oiled by axle oil it's because the inner seal has failed.

in fact, the inner seal is contained in a steel flanged cap, a press-fit into the axle tube. this needs to be sealed so that axle oil DOES NOT leak out; i'm fairly sure that the running level in the diff housing is such that it does not rise to the rubber seal portion (it would/could turns, etc).

this is a once-every-15-years job. take the nut off, let a machine shop press off the hub, and press off the old bearing and press on a new one. there's no way i'd reassemble this stuff with 15, 25, 35, 45 year old parts! there is wear even if it's microscopic and wear rates tend to grow exponentially.

i'm doing an experiment on my "AMC-15" from my 63 American (now in my 61 roadster). if you strip the tube end down, there's a rivet top any bottom, right behind the flange. i popped both out, and put a zerk in the bottom. this is into the space between the two seals, where the bearing lives. a greasegun can fill this space with grease, and vent out the top. wish me luck. i've not done this, yet, the bearings and seals new in 2009? or so.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Peter Marano View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 7:29am
Dana axles had a similar arrangement, used a fitting for grease.  It would not surprise me if the older Ramblers had fittings as well.

Perhaps an older TSM would show a fitting.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 8:16am
I don't mess with rear axles much, so thanks guys for pointing out that there IS an inner seal and that the bearings ARE NOT oiled from the differential oil. I replaced inner and outer seals recently on a Jeep with D44 axles, I've never replaced the inner seals on a Rambler axle. The one I did replace the bearings on I replaced the outer seals only -- had a machine shop remove the hubs and change the bearings. I did grease them before assembly though. 
Frank Swygert
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 11:05am
I always thought it was bizarre to treat the rear axle bearings that way when you have the supply of gear lube on the other side of the inner seal?

I can't remember the exact bearing layout to ponder on the possibility to add a zerk?
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic