TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'60 Ramb. rear axle leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '60 Ramb. rear axle leak
    Posted: Aug/28/2014 at 5:26pm
Here's a quick one: after I did all the maintenance on this car and topped up the fluids in the tranny and rear end, I noticed a leak of rear axle fluid on the inside of the passenger side tire (see photo).It takes about a week of sitting to leak this much. Is this a sign I overfilled the differential and I shouldn't worry about it, or should I pull the axle and have the seal replaced (or actually have it done, I don't have much experience with rear axles).

CN
Hugo View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2014 at 8:27am
HI, i've experience this on my 60 Rambler cross country. We pulled the hub and remark there is little loose on the axle( side to side), so we tighten it by pushing the bearing and put a shim . And now everything looks good.

Hope this help
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2014 at 9:55am
As for filling the rear too much the level should only come up to the bottom of the fill hole with the housing level.

Are you sure it is gear lube and not brake fluid from a leaky wheel cly.?
Even if you did over fill the gear lube it should not come out the wheel ends or the housings that is a sign of bad axle seals. Once they start to leak the only fix is to replace them.

After the leak is fixed if any fluid got on the brake shoes they will need to be replaced.
If the axle seal is bad or wheel cly. I would do both sides at the same time just to be safe.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
cnagorka View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnagorka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2014 at 11:20am
To answer one question: it's hypoid fluid for sure. And I filled the differential up to the fill hole as described.

Anyway: I found a posting on this forum from 2009 under the topic of pulling the hub, since it looks like such a nightmare I'm trying to avoid it. And as it turns out, (I'll link the topic later) it appears that what I need is only an inner seal. One of the posts said that what can be done is to disconnect the brake line and the parking brake cable, then unbolt the backing plate from the axle tube and slide the whole thing out as an assembly. Put in a new seal, slide it all back in and away you go (so to speak).

Pardon my ignorance on rear axle/differential/bearing issues, I've never had to deal with them before. Fronts, sure, rears never. Regardless, all replies are appreciated as always!

Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2014 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by cnagorka cnagorka wrote:

To answer one question: it's hypoid fluid for sure. And I filled the differential up to the fill hole as described.

Anyway: I found a posting on this forum from 2009 under the topic of pulling the hub, since it looks like such a nightmare I'm trying to avoid it. And as it turns out, (I'll link the topic later) it appears that what I need is only an inner seal. One of the posts said that what can be done is to disconnect the brake line and the parking brake cable, then unbolt the backing plate from the axle tube and slide the whole thing out as an assembly. Put in a new seal, slide it all back in and away you go (so to speak).

Pardon my ignorance on rear axle/differential/bearing issues, I've never had to deal with them before. Fronts, sure, rears never. Regardless, all replies are appreciated as always!

This should work.
Make sure to repack the bearing! Unless you have the current leak it does not get lube from that axle. It is a self contained/lubed bearing as in a front wheel bearing type.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2014 at 5:40pm
I'm not sure you can get the seal out without pulling the hub, but it's worth a try. You have to do all that work to take the axle out anyway. Once out, take it to an automotive machine shop and have them remove the hub and replace the seal. I'd go ahead and replace the outer bearing as well -- it's not much. Wouldn't hurt to do both sides, but the other can be done later. Just make sure and tell them the axle nut needs to be torqued to 250-300 ft/lb. TSM says 250, but 300 won't hurt. 
Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 6:56am
If the bearings are still OK just changing the inner seal should stop the leak. Before pulling the axle, bearing, hub, outer seal, and backing plate as a unit; I'd check the axle end play at no more than .008". If more than that the left one would also need to come out to remove shims as required. 

Have fun repacking the wheel bearings with the hubs and backing plates still on. Do it before sliding the assemblies back in.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 7:41am
Rear axle bearings don't have to be packed like front wheel bearings. Won't hurt, but just oiling them up before reassembling should be sufficient. They get a bit of oil from the differential. Spray lithium grease works well, better than oil, and with the little plastic tube you can get it in the bearing with the backing plate on. IIRC the AMC car axles don't have an inner seal, just an outer seal. Jeeps have an inner an outer seal, but I've only replaced seals and bearings on an FSJ with D44 axles. I would think the Jeep AMC 20 would have inner and outer seals as well, since Jeep axles are expected to be under water a good bit (car axles aren't). I don't recall inner seals on the AMC 15 I replaced seals and outer bearings on for my 63 American. I've never replaced an inner seal on a car axle, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Frank Swygert
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 8:56am
T/T AMC 20's have the inner seal Frank, not sure about the 15's.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2014 at 11:16am
My AMC 15 had a similar leak. I pulled the hub and back plate, replaced the seal and put it back together. Not a drop of leakage or any other problems in about 20,000 miles.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic