TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

60 Amercian Fuel Filler Hose

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 60 Amercian Fuel Filler Hose
    Posted: Jan/13/2017 at 6:14pm

Some of us with 60 Americans have been waiting for Doug Galvin to repo the gas filler hose with the molded in flange for some time.  Unfortunately I couldn’t wait any longer and I’m not that concerned about keeping perfectly stock. I spotted a comment about using a GATES 24713 filler hose as a replacement.  After checking out the hose on line, I thought I could make it work if I designed it like a 61 model with a metal fill and flange and then the GATES hose. 

I found and bought the flange and fill neck on eBay and bought the hose described.  Unfortunately the sweeping curve of 1961 piece was about 2 inches wider then I could use on the 1960.  Ultimately I used the flange end and the vent tube only.  Because of a slight size difference, I bought a 2 ½ inch exhaust adapter and also a 2 ¼ to 2 inch piece.  After about a few hours of heating and beating, I had a working filler neck that fit to the 1960 fender, the GATES hose and the stock tank. 

When I had the tank cleaned a couple years ago, I had added a ½ inch vent line to the front of the tank. I've had it plugged until now. This came in handy as I ran a separate line to the top of the fill neck to help allow faster filling at the local station.   Obviously I no longer have to worry about the gas station nozzle deteriorating the stock hose when the nozzle is pushed into the neck which was really in bad shape.

1961 Part

The factory 1961 neck was galvanized.  Since I had no idea what paint to protect this piece with, I used cold galvanized spray in hopes of solving the concern.  Since the fuel never sits that high up, I think it should hold up pretty well.

Finished 1960 piece

It was interesting that the 1961 factory neck had the same mounting as the 1960 flat flange.  Oddly enough the two of the four mounting holes were just a ½ hole off.  Either the factory fixture was worn out or those holes were drilled on the the assembly line?

Hope this can help someone ......................

Ron

Edited by RonFrancis - Jan/14/2017 at 9:44am
Ron Francis
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2017 at 8:39am
Looks like your ISP had an issue. Post again. This time copy the message before sending. If it fails you can paste in a new post or even save it from the clipboard to a file and try again later. I've done that -- it really sucks when you type something lengthy and detailed in just to have it disappear!
Frank Swygert
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 7:43pm
I'm reading this as of today and it looks OK.  Is it still not showing right?

ThanksWink
Ron Francis
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 9:11pm
ha! i did the same thing about 6 weeks ago. i made a thread about it, but the SEARCH feature of this form returns 500 SERVER ERROR.

http://fuelfillersupply.com/ has thew hose and more. i welded up some exhaust tubing from pep boys, then zinc plated it with a kit from Eastwood...
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 9:21pm
i used google to find the thread... http://theamcforum.com/forum/early-american-gas-tank-filler-neck-fix_topic85953.html

your solution looks a little neater than mine.

interesting that 60, 61, and 63 are all different. they are all very close. 63 has a "brake line" type neck vent.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 7:42am
That 61 filler neck is for the big car, not the American. All the 61-63 (58-63?) Americans use the rubber molded line. Probably because the bend is so tight, but might have just been for cost reduction. Saving a dollar or two on a part sounds trivial until you realize there were over 100,000 Americans made (all bodies use the same filler). So save a few cents on a lot of parts...
Frank Swygert
RonFrancis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonFrancis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2017 at 12:36pm
I'm thrilled with the results.  After a couple fillups where I just stick the station nozzle in and wait is cool. I used to have to hold it tight to the body to prevent spillage.  Finally geting the bugs out and being able to operate it like a normal car.  It is amazing how many people recogonize the car from their childhood.

Thank to all the guys who rsponded with my questions

Ron Francis
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic