TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

6 speed manual transmissions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2013 at 10:13am
Found the drawing for the crossmember:

I made it using 1"x3" rectangular tubing, cut, welded and reinforced at the joints and the mounting points and with a 3 1/4" wide x 14 gauge thk. flange welded on the bottom. Could make something simpler from formed tubing or reinforced heavy plate or just modify the stock crossmember like in needafasterAMX’s post.

The stock crossmember interfered with my header pipes and X-pipe, so made something completely new to clear. It was made to be flush to the floor pans for max exhaust clearance, but seems to transmit a bit more vibration into the cabin. May try bolting to the floor pans with thin rubber between. The urethane transmission mount likely also transmits more vibration as it’s quite a bit stiffer than the stock AMC rubber mount.

For mounting holes, I slotted the holes for the transmission to give a bit of fore-aft adjustment and marked and drilled the holes to mount to the frame rails after installing the transmission. Used a shim to adjust the transmission height to get the angle I wanted. There are a bunch of holes in the frame rails and the rear holes worked well (had to clean the undercoating off and chase the threads).

Note regular T56s have slightly different crossmember mounting points, so will need to make to suit if you go with something other than an LS Magnum. Also, if you use a shallow stock bell or Lakewood 15411 or QuickTime RM8075 with T56 adapter plate, the transmission mount will move rearward.

Edit: I ended up using almost 1/2" thick spacer between the crossmember and transmission mount, so the centre could be made a bit shallower than shown above and use less shim.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Red Devil - Oct/30/2017 at 7:59am
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 5:34am
Great photos and cross-member drawing, thanks for posting them. I need to start shopping for parts

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2013 at 2:12pm
Well I haven't bought anything yet, I'm still contemplating how nice it would be to have a modern six speed in the car. Mostly I wanted to bring this post back up to the front page so I didn't forget about it.

Armand 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 6:26am
wow this is a bummer, What happened to all the photos that were posted in this thread??
klvn8r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klvn8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 9:06am
RedDevil and I talked alot in the past....he might have pictures of my Richmond ROD six speed install.  I bought one when they were available, AMC input shaft, Lakewood scattershield.  Custom built trans crossmember, but a slightly modified stocker is probably a viable alternative.  My exhaust system created more issues than the trans.

klvn8r

AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 11:28am
As far as installing a Tremec 500 or 600, I can't imagine not have to cut the floor. I installed a TKO 500 in my '68 Mustg Fstbk and had to open the floor hump up. I installed a TKO 600 in my '56 Chevy DelRay coupe and had to open the floor up. Yes, it is a nice feature to have three locations for the shifter. I found this important especially with a bench seat in my '56, and used the center location for the shifter. see pic. The TKO's are big dimensionally and heavy.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 1:37pm
Hi klvn8r: Sorry don't have photos of your ROD install, but IIRC, it fit pretty easy - just some trimming for the shifter and a bit of the crossmember at the tail. Likely the new short bell with a GM style would gain a bit more room, so even easier to fit.

Hi Armand: Sorry, scrambled photos and lost links. Now updated.

Thanks,RD.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2014 at 2:51pm
RD,

Thanks for the updates. I'm still thinking about a 6 speed.

And this thread gets references from other threads so I thought it would be nice to bump the information forward again.

Also because I'm curious about the clutch and what your opinion is of the Mcleod long style pressure plate and pedal pressure transferred into your leg.

Armand
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2014 at 4:18pm
Hi Armand,

I've got the Street Twin w/ Borg&Beck Long PP ... which is their hybrid Borg&Beck w/ Long-style levers. It's heavier than a diaphragm clutch, but been so long since I've driven a stick tough for me to judge.

I only bought the Street Twin because it was on sale as an overstock item and included the flywheel, so cost was in the same ballpark as just a flywheel + regular clutch kit ... and had plans for more power (plans change as you get older).   With the aluminum flywheel it revs very quickly, but it's really a bit much clutch and not enough rear gear, so takes a bit of feathering to slip it to get going. Still not sure if I'm going to fit a smaller cam or more gear (wanted to try it out with the 3.15s to get an idea on gear). Just need to get some real miles on it before can say too much, so have to wait for spring.

Thanks,RD.
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2014 at 11:13pm
T56, Six speed are sweet

T5 and T56

Edited by needafasterAMX - Dec/15/2014 at 11:22pm
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic