TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

6 cylinder Turbo Exhaust Manifold wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 cylinder Turbo Exhaust Manifold wanted
    Posted: Oct/09/2018 at 4:33am
I remember seeing the 6 cylinder cars out on the track racing, years ago.  They didn't sound right compared to the V8 cars and they weren't typically as fast.  I think I want one since we are bracket racing anyway.

I would like to buy or borrow a 6 cylinder exhaust manifold set up for a Turbo.  I want to see how it fits under the hood and what all the plumbing looks like.  It would be great if the turbo was available, too, for fitment.

I am not one to re-invent the wheel when someone has already done that.  I have 3 possible bodies that I am considering for my 6 cylinder racer.  66 American, 68 Javelin or 78 Concord.  

If you, your dad or your grandpa have one hanging around, I would be interested.  I will be at All AMC Day on October 27. 

Thanks,
Dave Moeller
Norfolk, VA 
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2018 at 9:50pm
Com'on!  I find it hard to believe that nobody has an old turbo manifold.  Even Randall AMC messed around with them.

Here are some neat links to some interesting articles:

77 Randall Hornet Turbo Kit

http://clubs.hemmings.com/classicamx/turbo-hornet/turbo-hornet.htm

Gremlin with a turbo

http://gremlinx.com/1971-turbo-gremlin/

Hot Rod 666 hp 4.0 liter stroker

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/horsepower-turbo-4-0-amc-jeep/

VR,
Dave
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2018 at 2:09am
I've put feelers out every now and then over the last 18-20 years. Nobody has ever posted one for sale, nor has anybody even come up with an actual purported dealer-installed, turbo-equipped car.  Your best bet would be to build one.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2018 at 7:37am
Fluffy73,

Building my own is certainly an option.  We have a guy down here with a Supercharged Jeep Wrangler that I was going to go see.  Also on the Supercharger front was Magnuson/B&M for the 4.0.  I think Gator Supercharger down south somewhere was putting out kits for a while but I don't know how many of them were sold.

Back to the Turbo, I might just be asking the wrong people.  May be I should have asked if their sisters, mothers or grandmothers had a turbo manifold laying around, I would be interested in buying or borrowing for fitment.

Somewhere around here I have the Turbocharging book from Total Performance AMC Club out of Florida.  I may just have to go old school and build one like they did.  It would really be nice to be able to run fuel injection with the turbo.

Anyway, I brought home a 78 Concord 6 yesterday and will be pulling off it's hood to see what might fit under there...

Thanks, 
Dave 
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2018 at 8:57pm
Build your own...   Put the turbo wherever you want.  Only way to go.  I think you are down there by that Stumm guy.  he could probably handle most of the fab for you.  I'll put in a good word for you...
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2018 at 9:57pm
If you looked close at those pictures of the turbo Gremlin,  you'll notice he used a stock exhaust manifold,  no mods.,  just run a pipe under the engine to the turbo on the other side, then run a pipe from output of the turbo to the carb.

Randall AMC  did that 40 years ago,   and then to how many engines?   10?  20?

You might as well try to find the lost Dutch mine.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 1:41am
Randall's actually made their own exhaust manifold that the turbo bolted to. They show pictures of it in an September, 1977 issue of Hot Rod.  I once had this crazy idea to use a Garrett Turbo from a Turbo Mopar (very common) and make my own manifold using a stock AMC exhaust manifold with it's bottom end lopped off, and then cut the turbo flange off the Turbo Mopar manifold and then graft the two together.

Problem is, I'm not a very good welder - and I don't own a fabrication shop.  I could probably do it if I put my mind to it, but the only 6-cylinder car I have left .... I don't want to Turbocharge.

Now I have this crazy idea to hack up three aluminum AMC six-cylinder intakes to make an AMC six-pack.
But again, I don't know if I'd want to do that to my six cylinder car.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 1:22pm
TyRodTom,

My dutch is kind of rusty but I am game, what kind of details do you have to get me started.  

I would save so much time taking a look at what other people did instead of trying to figure out how to mock things up under the hood.  Dropping a pipe under the oil pan is  possible and there is a lot of room on the right side of the engine.  SCRagtop and discussed that this weekend while we were chopping up a 61 Metropolitan.  I just don't like the idea of heating up my oil.  I would love to alter the wheelbase and put the turbo behind the engine.  Of course, then I would need to extend my steering, rework all my wiring and controls.  I could build a Gremlin Grinder with a turbo that way.

I really would rather pay for shipping than fabricating from Scratch.  Don Bangs showed me a picture at the Mid-Atlantic AMC Club Spring meeting 2 years ago.  He knew a guy who could build me a manifold.  The picture looked like it was a turbo in a Civic or Subaru or something.  Very complicated, very tight and shiney.  

If I fab, I need to purchase the turbo first so I can figure out where everything needs to go.  So, I will either have a junk turbo for fab or a good turbo for Fab purposes.  Either way, I am a long way from Kansas...

Anyway, turbo AMC 6 bangers weren't built in a day so I have some time to beat the bushes for the artifacts of Turbos AMC 6 bangers past.  If I never find any artifacts, I will just have to get going.  I am on the fence about building a turbo or a V8 race car anyway.  I have too many choices laying all over the garage floor and in the fields of AMC in my kingdom.

VR,
Dave
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 8:44pm
Maybe it is a cousin that has the turbo exhaust. First, Second, Third, Remove, whatever. If it is a cousin, let them know I am looking. Drop me a line, shipping is cheaper than fab time.

VR,
Dave
1ManGang View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1ManGang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2018 at 6:28pm
Calling all Aunts, Wives and Girlfriends.  If you have a turbo AMC Exhaust Manifold, I am your guy!Wink

Send picture of Manifold.  We will work out the rest.

VR,
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic