TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 5th OZ AMC/Rambler show 50years AMX/Javelin 2018
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

5th OZ AMC/Rambler show 50years AMX/Javelin 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5th OZ AMC/Rambler show 50years AMX/Javelin 2018
    Posted: May/09/2017 at 8:35am
Welcome to the official 5th annual Australian AMC/Rambler show thread

This show will be extra special in that it is also a 50 year celebration of the iconic AMC Javelin and AMX which turned AMC from having a conservative fuel economy car maker image to one with a lot more presence in the new muscle car era created by the Big 3

March 16/17/18 2018 is a weekend that promises to be one of the most significant weekends for AMC's in Australia for a long time with car owners from around Australia showing interest in not only bringing their Javelin and AMX's but all manner of other AMC's to help celebrate

This show I call one of the "Big 4" here in Australia (or DownUnder if you are reading this in the US). No I don't mean Ford, GM, Chrysler and AMC but the 4 BIG AMC shows we now have here in Australia to show off AMC's

#Shannons American Car show in Melbourne (AMC's organised by Colin Main)

#WA Everything Chrysler day (AMC's organised by Darren Isaac)

#Cooly Rocks in QLD (AMC's organised by Garry Murphy)

#Annual AMC/Rambler show Albury/Wodonga NSW/VIC (AMC's Organised by me Jason Chaplin)

Next year will see many AMC's not seen for some time. You can keep up to date here on this thread. Hope you enjoy the ride

Happy AMC-ing

PS Feel free to spread any info from this thread to club newsletters, facebook sites, emails, texts, or even via smoke signals, hand gestures etc so everyone with even a minute interest in AMC's is aware of what is going on

Edited by 70Hornet - Jul/06/2017 at 9:18pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2017 at 10:32pm
We have a poster, getting excited now:

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 5:39pm
The AMC/Rambler poster came out pretty good I reckon

There is a funny story with the red Javelin on the poster. This particular rendering was shown as a much smaller version on the overall COTM poster back in 2014. Anyhow one day I get a call off Ray Ikin who says "hey Jase that's a pic of my car". I asked how he knew that? Well if you look at the front bumper it doesn't line up properly. The artist drew it exactly as he photographed it at the 1st AMC show. When I got it done this year I asked that they leave it out of alignment to keep the connection. Ray Ikin will be there in the red Javelin with crooked bumper next year to sign copies :-) (Unfortunatly Ray's tow truck broke down on the way up to the 4th annual show this year but he says he will be at the 5th no matter what)

The Official 26th Chryslers on the Murray will also be out soon and shows a real nice 72 hump guard javelin. Real nice looking poster but not finished yet. Will have it posted up once available

70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2017 at 2:28am
Just to clarify. The phone number at the bottom of the flyer is "Rambler Spares" owner Steve Fripp and not mine (Mine will be on the entry form when it comes out in a couple of months). Steve as most of you know has all the Mascot Motors NOS AMC parts from when they closed plus a whole lot of 2nd hand parts and parts cars. Steve, and I hear Jeff :-), will be down next year with even more New, New Old Stock, Reconditioned and 2nd hand parts for many of our AMC's :-)

For those that want to email him (ie if you live overseas in US etc) with wish lists he can be contacted on frippy1974@gmail.com

He has parts I have never seen advertised even the US. The rear NOS Matador X rear panel was one that stood out for me

Edited by 70Hornet - Jul/06/2017 at 9:23pm
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2017 at 5:19pm
There is definitely a track day happening on the Friday of the show. There are limited spots so book early when the entry forms come out. John Carson from QLD looks set to bring his AMX track car down for the weekend and put the hammer down on it on the Friday which will be great to see (there is rumour a group of QLD AMC's might be heading down which would be great to see). The track day has lap sprints (timed), go to whoa etc and is a fun day to go as fast or slow as you want. Having just done a day down there in my little 1969 Mini I can highly recommend it. Feels good to go as fast as you can in a fairly safe environment. Will be good to see a few AMC's strut their stuff.

PS I havnt heard any rumours of any SA cars as yet but there is some SA owners/cars I think a whole lot of people would love to see. GremX Gremlin or Javelin and Andrew Tucks #3 AMX to name a couple. GremX has a rich history with the marque here in Australia (having owned Rampart, the one and only Aussie Gremlin etc) and there is a lot of people who would love to put a face to the name, see one of his cars AND have a chat with him about AMC's in Australia over the years

Sadly Clem Smith from SA passed away earlier in the year. He had a great collection that is to be auctioned off in September and fully supported this AMC/Rambler show having brought cars each year and he even brought 3 AMC's all the way over form SA to the show last year (2016) and was set to bring 3 again this year but unfortunately this didn't happen. Hope his cars go to good homes and we see a few of them at the show in new hands next year

For interstate owners the trick is to not treat it as just a car show. Chryslers on the Murray (AMC/Rambler show)is much more then that compared to most shows where you park in a paddock for the day then drive off as soon as you can get out. This show is much more then that throughout the weekend. It is a holiday, or weekend away, an adventure, a breath of fresh air for you and your AMC. Distance to get here is irrelevant if it is a holiday. The car show part is just the bonus, or the icing on the cake.

I will pop bits and pieces up on this thread as I am asked so keep posted and feel free to spread it around any way possible

PS It is school holidays here so I hired 'Herbie Goes Bananas' to have a movie night with the kids. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid. I saw no less then 4 Hornets in it :-) Some great cars cruising around in the background

Edited by 70Hornet - Jul/06/2017 at 9:17pm
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2017 at 6:43pm
What kind of car numbers are you hoping for? I assume its a "side show" to the Mopar show?
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Ambassador
AMO#10333
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2017 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

What kind of car numbers are you hoping for? I assume its a "side show" to the Mopar show?

Going by car owners that have verbally said they will be here next year it is looking to up around the 60 mark. About 20 of these will be Javelin/AMX's. These tally's don't include owners I haven't talked to etc. The last 4 years has seen from 22 to 28 cars which sounds low but it is still the most AMC's you are usually going to see at any one time in the one spot here in Australia so if we do get around the 60 mark it will be amazing for us all down here in Australia. The record in Australia is 51 set in South Australia (SA) back in the early 90's

And yes it unashamedly piggy backs on the big Chrysler show over here (the biggest outside of North America) which helps not only in organising but attracts such a huge crowd (around 10,000 over the weekend) Which just an AMC show over here in Australia by itself would not

And the spectators each year have genuinely loved the variety our cars provide being there. Win/Win :-)

I have sent the poster to a few people over your way so if anyone is over here around that time and is thinking of popping in to have a look please let us know so we can catch up for a chat and show you around

Edited by 70Hornet - Jul/06/2017 at 7:34pm
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2017 at 5:51pm
For AMC owners in Sydney this weekend (Sunday 9th July) there is an "American Independents Day" show at Linwood House, Guildford. I gather it covers all our cars ie Nash, Hudson, Rambler etc as well as many others not under the AM banner. Hope to see some photo's of the AMC's there :-)

8/7- Better just check the details of that show before you head out there. Someone sent me a text the other week about it but I cant seem to find any info about it.

11/7- I did find a little bit to say show was to be on. Did any AMC's go? And if so any photo's?

Edited by 70Hornet - Jul/10/2017 at 5:54pm
70Hornet View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 7:20pm
Not much news while waiting for winter to bugger off. The complete entry forms will be out in next week or so. Looks great and it has a hump Javelin on it that well and truly steals the poster. I cant put it out there yet until printed apparently.

Clem Smiths cars (who fully supported the annual AMC/Rambler show bringing cars each year until he sadly passed away) were auctioned the other day and he would be happy to see they all look to have gone to good homes. I have heard of at least one of the AMC's in new hands heading over to the show next march which would make old Clem happy to see it will still be getting used, and seen and appreciated, as he used to love doing with most of them
White 64 American $8812, Brown 70 Javelin $34075, 52 Hudson Hornet $56400, 55 Hudson Twin H Power $29375, 64 Classic Cross Country wagon $18,800, Matador X coupe $11162, Terraplane Sprintcar $17037

Looking to be at least 20 Javelin/AMX's next year (7 of these AMX's!) if everyone is still as keen as when I have spoken to them recently and if the odd rumour here and there is true. With about another 40 AMC's of all descriptions (including possibly 2 Matador X coupes)next year will be a once in a lifetime collection of AMC/Rambler's in Australia   

Edited by 70Hornet - Aug/22/2017 at 7:25pm
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 8:44pm
Really like the poster .Any extra for sale?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic