TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'59 Rambler Custom push button trans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '59 Rambler Custom push button trans
    Posted: May/15/2013 at 12:08am
Hello all,

I finally got the '59 Rambler home. I dragged it onto the trailer with a winch, as all the wheels were locked up. I have gotten the front wheels broken free and turning. However the rear wheels seem to be locked up. The neutral/start button for the auto transmission is pushed in, and the Park lever is pulled all the way up for "off".

My main question is, does a battery have to be installed to get the car into neutral? Is the transmission control electrically controlled or is it all mechanical?

I have the 1958 Shop manual & 1959 Addendum, and it's not real specific.

Thanks,

Don

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 2:10am
there's not much electrically controlled in that car!

the transmission is the flashomatic aka Borg Warner. shifter is entirely mechanical. are you sure it's not just the brakes stuck?

also, even if the shifter linkage was wrong/broken, if you jack both wheels, turn one, the other should turn. (unless you have "twin grip" aka limited-slip, but that's a fairly uncommon option).

even just jacking one wheel -- if the driveshaft or transmission was somehow locked -- which seems unlikely to me but hey, after 50 years anything goes -- there's enough play in the axle, u-joints and trans that you can usually turn the wheel a few degrees back and forth (clunk, clunk), basically pickup up gear clearance (backlash). If the wheel moves ZERO, nada, not at all, its brakes. which i'd guess here, anyway.

this is a six, right? you didn't say, but it's a Custom...

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Ranchwagon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 11:31pm
Thanks for the info. With what you told me I determined that the brakes must be stuck.

I got the tires pulled off, and used a drum puller to get the drums off. Sure enough, the brake shoes were stuck to the drums. I backed the adjusters all the way in, put the cleaned up drums back on and she rolls easy.

Thank you again.

I wish I knew how to post pictures on here so I could show you all my little Red Rambler.
Ranchwagon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranchwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2013 at 11:33pm
Also, Yes. It is a '59 Rambler Six Custom 4 door. It has some rust issues, but I plan on fixing that as I go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic