TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

59 Rambler American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2016 at 7:03am
Supposed to get the car back from paint this weekend, very excited it looks great so far with the off white top.

Still looking for a steering wheel for the car mines pretty beat up and cracked.

After I get it back and reassembled, im strongly considering adding some kind of AC to the car as our 105 degree Houston weather can be almost unbearable at times. Plan to do some measuring to see what kind of underdash unit would fit in the car.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2016 at 7:22am
A member of the Rambler Club added AC to his L-head 59 Rambler here on the West Coast using custom made brackets and a Sanyo compressor so it is possible to add AC. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2016 at 8:15pm
You need a small under dash unit. This one would fit and look "right" in that vintage of vehicle.
http://www.southernrods.com/a-c-and-heat-units-and-southern-air-kits/classic-mustang-style-heat-and-a-c-complete-kit.html
Has heat, but wouldn't have a defrost. Southern Rods has other systems. Their new "Mini Kooler" looks like a good fit, but doesn't have vents on the unit, it's made for hoses to vents that attach under the dash. Don't think you have room for something like that. They may have vents that connect directly though, might want to call.
Frank Swygert
cosworth View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2016 at 5:10pm
Painter sent me this today
http://s304.photobucket.com/user/CraigBurk/media/Rambler%20painted_zpsm4wn2cx8.jpg. -
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2016 at 5:57pm
Congrats.  Looks sweet.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
cosworth View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2016 at 6:21am
Much appreciated, Im very happy with how it turned out.

Farna, thanks for sending me those links I think one of those units will for sure work. But cant do much till i get the car back in my hands to start measuring. The mini unit would be awesome and it may fit up into the blank radio space (car never had a radio) The issue with a underdash I see right now is the american has a bolted on drop down in the middle with controls for lights and heat. Which of course I can always move if required.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2016 at 6:02am
The good thing about the mini unit is it doesn't have to be mounted in the center. It can be mounted under the passenger side if it doesn't take up too much knee room, then run one duct/vent to the driver's side, one to the center. I'd use round ones on each side and a wide/short rectangular in the center under the control drop. Would work under the middle too. Get the dimensions of the unit and measure when you get the car back. You might want to make a cardboard mock-up and test fit at each location.

There are a couple other units too. Of course Vintage Air has some. The Hurricane from Old Air Products is very compact. Resembles the heater in an old 50s truck. They have some under dash and in dash units as well.
http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/custom-street-rod-ac-units/hurricane-ac-systems-c-1_32000000_120131979.html

Edited by farna - Sep/02/2016 at 6:08am
Frank Swygert
cosworth View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2016 at 5:09pm
Good and bad news...

Good new, got the car back and it looks absolutely amazing, painter did a great job.

Bad news, for some reason that im just now realizing the drive train is closer to the drivers side by about 1" so my wheel package will not work with lowering plates.... very bummed about this. Looks like im going to have to raise the car back up. Also have a very bad wheel shimmy that just started.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2016 at 6:08am
I wouldn't think that the engine position would affect wheel placement. You didn't cut out the wheel wells and use a Mustang II or anything like that, did you? Stock suspension and engine, right?

A wheel shimmy could be anything in the front suspension. I think yours uses a solid drag link, not the tubular one with the springs and plugs in the end like the 61-63 models. If it uses the tubular type crank the ends down good and tight.
Frank Swygert
cosworth View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cosworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2016 at 6:39am
The whole suspension is stock except for the lowering plates I installed.

And what I meant to say is the wheels are closer to the drivers side maybe 1" from fender lip to wheel on the drivers and 2" on the passenger. So when I did my measurements I was on the passenger side and everything fits. But on the drivers things don't fit and come into contact with the fender lip. If I have to raise it up then so be it, just a shame because it looks killer as it sits right now.

I didn't get much time to look into my issues yesterday, I was in the middle of swapping an engine in a 68 mustang when I got the car back. Ill be looking more into it this coming weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic